• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madelyn update 2/5/20-Not eat/poo stressed

Well I am glad that Madelyn is at last showing signs of an improved gut motility. It certainly is very stressful nursing an Rabbit with a prolonged episode of gut stasis, regardless of the cause. I hope that Raven will get back to normal soon too, he sounds to be almost there now. Topping up the vibes for both Bunnies and lots of supportive hugs for you xx

Thank you for the support. Saturday afternoon I was crying and sad when I lonked over and saw Maddie eating a dandelion green with enthusiasm. My tears became happy tears as a weight began to lift. She soon returned to eating slower yet finished the few she was given that morning. Of course she got more which she ate. And more. Dandelions are only green she will eat even though I tried others today. I hope store got a delivery since my visit on Thursday because I will run out of dandelion greens tomorrow.
Madelyn ate very few pellets and only a few strands of hay. Her poo appearance is improving and it is more frequent., She is still getting meds and fluids. She sat on my lap a few times and my lap remained free of bunny pee.
I am hoping she eats more pellets so I can stop syringe feeds.
Raven did not get fluids or syringe feed on Saturday, just medicam. He made fewer poos,though still an acceptable quantity.
I am monitoring him closely.

Thank you for the support. Saturday afternoon I was crying and sad when I lonked over and saw Maddie eating a dandelion green with enthusiasm. My tears became happy tears as a weight began to lift. She soon returned to eating slower yet finished the few she was given that morning. Of course she got more which she ate. And more. Dandelions are only green she will eat even though I tried others today. I hope store got a delivery since my visit on Thursday because I will run out of dandelion greens tomorrow.
Madelyn ate very few pellets and only a few strands of hay. Her poo appearance is improving and it is more frequent., She is still getting meds and fluids. She sat on my lap a few times and my lap remained free of bunny pee.
I am hoping she eats more pellets so I can stop syringe feeds.
Raven did not get fluids or syringe feed on Saturday, just medicam. He made fewer poos,though still an acceptable quantity.
I am monitoring him closely.

well done Maddie! :D xxx

Sending lots of vibes for your bunnies, hoping they will continue to improve. They are very lucky to be in your care, you are doing a great job xx

My kitchen floor tiles were so broken/loose that they were a tripping hazard so my teenage nephew and I were removing the old tiles ourselves (to save money) so Madelyn had to be put upstairs in a small pen for several hours on a few different days. I had to give her some motility meds and fluids because she was stressed and doing the I am not eating/drinking or pooing and I was taking precautions she would not get worse.
Yesterday I had a contractor come so she had to spend the entire day and part of the evening in the small pen upstairs. Lots more noise. She had the same reaction and refused all food/drink and would not poop (peed less too), so again I took the precaution of giving her motility meds and fluids after which she did produce some poos and started to eat a little. I moved her to a larger pen in a different room for the night, and in a few hours she will have to return to the small pen again while workers return. She is not very active during the daytime, yet she clearly enjoyed having a larger area this evening. I know how important it is for bunnies to be able to exercise to keep their guts moving. Fingers and everything else crossed that she will be less stressed today.

Sending Madelyn lots of vibes. I hope she improves soon.
Her output is smaller/harder than usual; though I am happy she is eating a moderate amount and making pee/poo. Let's hope she can keep it going. I may just give her motility meds and fluids in the morning.

Back