• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madelyn update 2/5/20-Not eat/poo stressed

Raven improving.
Madelyn not eating not drinking, pee in area she sitting all the time,three tiny poo. Trying syringe feed she spitting it out.
Glad I took a long nap when they were at vet.
Need vibes.

Sending lots of vibes for your two precious bunnies. I hope they both start to feel much better soon.

Raven was nibbling greens and ate the pieces of garden stick. He got medicam as soon as we arrived home, and metoclopramide when I did not see fresh poos for several hours. To be sure he got enough food to keep his guts moving, I gave him some critical care which went well. He wants to run away, yet he lets me put the syringe in his mouth and give him very small amounts of critical care (1/3 cc) in his mouth at a time which he then swallows. As a dental bunny with GI issue, Raven is very experienced at getting syringe feed. He has also been moving around a moderate amount since I picked him up at the vets where he was playing with the fleece in his carrier. He is also drinking a little water on his own. He is also making poo, though they are a bit smaller/dry compared to his normal poos. He got a few sub Q fluids to keep his gut contents well hydrated.

Madelyn is sitting in one area. She only passed three tiny hard poos. She is not drinking or eating anything. I gave her sub Q fluids when I did not see pee in her litterbox. She also go 2 different motility drugs and medicam. Hours after fluids, she was still sitting in one spot and when I picked her I saw a lot of pee underneath her outside her litterbox. She must have had quite a bit on her because my pants got damp where she was sitting. As I was attempting critical care for the first time, she was spitting it out. Her pretty white fur was a mess. I was persisting and she was trying to get away. She may have swallowed a couple cc's of critical care before she made a HUGE wee on me. Of course she got her way and I put her down because I had to change my pants and underwear. I was not giving in, so even though I smelled like bunny pee I attempted to give her more critical care. It took me 45 minutes to get another 8 cc's of critical care (not much) into her before I decided to give us both a rest. She washed up before flopping for a rest. Time for me to wash off the bunny pee (I am not sure if I am part of her Terry tory).
This is the first time Madelyn has had GA since I adopted her. I am not sure if she needs more pain relief (she got Medicam though could have a higher dose if needed) or if her inactivity is from the GA.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and vibes.

Last edited:
It is 5:49am. Madelyn jumped in her litterbox for the first time at 5:30am and gave me about 18 poos. They were medium size and feel very dry. So glad her system is moving a bit. She also peed in the litterbox (instead of on the floor or me). I hope she will begin eating and drinking on her own soon. Time to get some sleep next to Raven.

It is 5:49am. Madelyn jumped in her litterbox for the first time at 5:30am and gave me about 18 poos. They were medium size and feel very dry. So glad her system is moving a bit. She also peed in the litterbox (instead of on the floor or me). I hope she will begin eating and drinking on her own soon. Time to get some sleep next to Raven.
I'm so glad she's finally pooped! Definitely a positive :) sorry she wasn't having the syringe feed, some buns are so difficult to syringe feed ime whereas others not too bad x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

When I checked her at 9:30am she had not made anymore poos,was not eating nor was she drinking. She got sub q fluids and metacloprinide. I gave her additional medicam a few hours earlier so did not want to give more without vet approval. I left update for vet .

She resisted syringe feed. I managed to get 1/3cc in her mouth three times in a couple minutes before she spit it out all at once. Then she made a giant pee on me seconds before vet called. Vet advised me she could have more medicam for couple days. He encouraged me to try syringe feed again. I gave her more medicam and then checked Raven, cleaned his litterbox, syringe fed him to supplement his not eating hay yet, and gave him meds.
I decided to mix some ground up pellets with critical care and try to feed Madelyn again. She resisted and she took long to swallow, but I got 10cc syringe feed into her (some on her) in 45 minutes. I hope it is enough to keep her guts moving. Raven ate twice as much syringe feed in half the time and he is eating a little food on his own.
It is 4:30pm and time for a nap.

Last edited:
Topping up the vibes for Madelyn, I hope the additional medicine will help her,also sending hugs to you xx

I hope your little bunny patients do well in their recovery. I'm glad Madelyn decided to take some recovery food at last, Rudey likes dried herbs & sometimes a tiny pinch of fenugreek in his

I really hope that both Bunnies will get back to normal soon. You must be worn out from all the stress. Sending millions more vibes for the Bunnies and hugs for you xx

Thank you friends. I spent most of the day with bunnies. Attempted more syringe feed and she spit it out many times before she took just a little. Even with more medicam and motility meds not eating on her own. She passed very tiny poos 1 hour after syringe feed. In total poos were 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon. I wish I knew if she got worse because of dental or if dental was not her only reason for her issues prior to dental.

I just had her sitting on my lap as I thought how much I need my Maddie. She is my sunshine, especially when I am sad.

Please send more vibes.

Thank you friends. I spent most of the day with bunnies. Attempted more syringe feed and she spit it out many times before she took just a little. Even with more medicam and motility meds not eating on her own. She passed very tiny poos 1 hour after syringe feed. In total poos were 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon. I wish I knew if she got worse because of dental or if dental was not her only reason for her issues prior to dental.

I just had her sitting on my lap as I thought how much I need my Maddie. She is my sunshine, especially when I am sad.

Please send more vibes.

I can appreciate this. It is so difficult in such situations. I really hope that with the extra pain relief she starts to improve. You must be shattered :( It sounds as though you have a good attentive vet though. Sending her lots more vibes and I hope that Raven continues to feel better.

Gave Maddie maximum dose of medicam and a little more syringe feed. It is 3:20am and goal is more syringe before bed.

I am also stressing because I am scheduled for refractive surgery to adjust my vision in my right eye on Friday and I hope She stabilizes so I feel ok to leave her for several hours.

Maddie is my anchor and I am struggling to help her.

10:10 am scheduled a recheck in an hour.

Last edited:
Vet visit on Thursday showed Madelyn's tummy was very quiet (she got Cisapride about an hour before vet visit) and quite empty in spite of my syringe feeding as much as she would tolerate (she was very stressed). She even had a quick X-ray to see if she had any material accumulated in her stomach and her stomach looked good. Vet said her cecum felt very good with the perfect amount of liquid.
I came home and decided I had to get more syringe feeds into her even if it was stressing her (me too), so I gave her more syringe feeds (it took me a couple hours to get 18cc into her) and later I gave metocloprimide. I did it again hours later. Overnight she gave me some larger poos and then I had to wait almost 12 hours before she passed a few more. Repeated fluids, medicam, motility meds, syringe feeds on Friday and overnight again. More poos and more frequent poos so GI moving better. Today is Saturday and she is taking an interest in greens and a little pieces of a selective naturals garden stick. She also tried eating a few pellets.
It is very slow going since her first dental on Tuesday. I know what a roller coaster ride stasis can be from prior experience, so I am hoping she can continue to make progress, even if it is slow progress.
Raven is still not 100% after his dental on Tuesday, though he is much closer to normal. He has been pooing regularly. He will stay on lessing degrees of supportive care until I am confident he is eating and drinking his normal amounts.

Back