• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lopsy's new friend (no pics yet)

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
[OK, I do have a couple of pictures but they're really bad because the light was rubbish. Promise I'll post some Friday assuming things stay on track :)]

I went to Burrowed Hearts with Lopsy today. It started badly: I developed a pretty bad URTI in Essex and was rough driving home yesterday, although I slept better last night. I felt rough today and Lopsy was in the hutch, which is difficult to get him in the carrier easily :( I had to manhandle him into the carrier which was unpleasant for everyone involved :( Stressful start to a stressful morning for him :(

We got to the rescue (new permanent premises, woohoo!) and introduced Lopsy to Chibbs. She's a round bun with tiny legs XD Lopsy mushed himself into a corner (probably upset at being manhandles, having his routine changes and being in totally different surroundings, also a bit scared). Chibbs (apparently named after a character in Sons of Anarchy) wasn't fussed by Lopsy at all at first, then did some full on fur fulling which Lopsy barely reacted to (maybe he was too scared, maybe he wasn't sure what to do as he's not very good at being a bunny and doesn't really understand bunny social cues!) and then humped him, a lot, which he didn't much like and tried to get away from but didn't make much effort! This happened a few more times, and it started raining :( Then he seemed to wake up and had a go back at Chibbs :) There was no proper aggression though, lots of just doing their own thing and then occasionally interacting dominantly with each other :S All a bit strange really. Laura and I discussed if they were arguing over who would be least-dominant XD

I brought them home as they seemed alright. I left them in the carrier while I replaced the big litter tray with the de-Lopsied one. I hadn't had a chance to do much else and it was now chucking it down and I'd rather they were dry than neutral ;P Popped the carrier in, they'd both been fine in there, and Chibbs was first out followed by Lopsy who was instantly at home and acting normally, although soaked. Chibbs seems much more waterproof! :lol: She was very unsure now, and after a quick look around sat under one of the stools. I put the hanging hay basket down for them so Chibbs could find something to eat easily and, after making sure they weren't about to have a go at each other, left them to it while I had some lunch.

I went back out after lunch. It was still raining. Lopsy was eating and Chibbs was moving about but hid back under the stool when I opened the door. Both were much drier. I still hadn't seen her eat. She went and sat in the big neutral litter tray. I pulled some hay out of the hanging rack and put it in the litter tray. She didn't want herb robert or cabbage. Lopsy ate it all XD Lopsy went near her and poked his nose at her and she thumped once, but not very loudly and she didn't move. Lopsy didn't react immediately but sat and washed near her. I felt really awful so went to bed.

When I got up 2hrs later, feeling less rough, they were sat near each other but Chibbs once again retreated to the litter tray when I opened the door. Lopsy greeted me on the windowsill as usual. Chibbs seemed much less worried by her surroundings but still concerned about me. I left them to it again.

Matt came home about 40mins later. Gave them some bramble and rose. Both were reported as fine, although CHibbs wasn't as forthcoming as Lopsy but still friendly enough, friendlier than with me :) We left them to it again.

I popped out at 8:30pm and they were both on the windowsill together :) Chibbs hopped off but periscoped to get a look at me, and Lopsy stayed for a headrub. Chibbs them had a good go at the bramble stick :)

I am happy with this result and happy that they're getting on OK. I was concerned about Chibbs finding her feet while trying to sort out her and Lopsy but she seems to have found her place in the playhouse. We'll see how it goes at pellets time...!

My plan is to leave them in just the playhouse until Friday, when I'll let them have use of the run as well. Chibbs had already had two big changes and, while Lopsy's so chilled you wouldn't know anything's changed, I want them to find their relationship balance and get used to us before introducing even more changes :) We'll take the rest of the areas as we go, see how things get along :)

Let's hope this is Chibbs' forever home, because she's lovely :) When she periscopes, her big fluffy body and head (she's a Lionhead of some sort) are very out of proportion with her tiny feet XD I hope to provide a picture of that soon. She loves periscoping :D

It sounds like it’s going well :love: sometimes when I first started bonding Frosty and Fern I felt a bit sorry for Fern because she wasn’t such a people bunny and was a little nervous about me and the new surroundings! Thankfully she soon realised that she could trust us :love:

That's reassuring, thanks Zoobec. She'll sniff my hand and is OK with a gentle headrub sometimes but not a full body stroke quite yet :) She's very soft :D

I’m sure she will come round :love: when I first met Fern at BARC, she stamped her front foot at me, growled and nipped at me :lol: challenge accepted, I thought :lol: she was always good for being picked up, strangely enough, but she now likes strokes :love:

Sounds like it's going well so far. [emoji3] I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before Miss Chibbs mellows out towards the humans!

I hope you're feeling better btw. Bonding's not really the sort of thing you want to be doing when you're unwell.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's going well so far. [emoji3] I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before Miss Chibbs mellows out towards the humans!

I hope you're feeling better btw. Bonding's not really the sort of thing you want to be doing when you're unwell.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Probably when she settles and realises humans are bringers of food :love:

I forgot to say, hope you are feeling better soon, there’s been a horrible flu around here since before Christmas, I was glad to get rid of it!

It sounds as though things are going well and I hope it continues. Tui has never been a people bunny and yet we've had her here since she was 3 months old. She's perfectly happy to be with Tethra, enjoy her home and particularly happy when the people of the house bring her food :) Reading through your accound of events, I reckon you did well bringing them home when you did as it made Chibbs slightly less confident and therefore more reliant on Lopsy. Lopsy on the other hand was obviously happy that he was in his own home again.

I'm glad that Chibbs eats Bramble. You don't want a fussy feeder with all those goodies that Matt brings home :lol:

I hope you feel much better soon.

Thanks everyone :D I'm much better today, managed to get to training at work (local rather than a long way away, and a shorter day) and the bunnies seemed to have been fine all day: no fur anywhere that I can see, and there was some light humping/chasing of Lopsy by Chibbs but nothing to worry about beyond establishing herself. She then groomed him quite well :) Just like Aboleth: establish her place, then be nice :lol:

You don't want a fussy feeder with all those goodies that Matt brings home :lol:
Indeed! A bit thin on the ground right now but I expect there might be some apple tree at the weekend... She hasn't refused anything yet. We're a bit worried that she doesn't realise she needs to eat quicker so Lopsy doesn't eat it all: him and Aboleth were always 'fighting' over food, and he takes food from Chibbs now :D She doesn't seem fussed! I'm sure she'll come round to it: AFAIK she's been on her own (around but not with other bunnies) all 5yrs of her life so she hasn't had any food competition XD And Lopsy's always been food-focussed so it's nothing new for him to go mad over anything food-related.

We did have dual-headrubs today (they sit next to each other on the windowsill and I can do two bunnies with one hand :D) and I got a nosebump with both of them :) Problem with getting nosebumps off Chibbs is her superfloof goes up my nose XD She seems happier with me today which is great :) I just wanna stroke her floofy cheeks XD She seems quite... well-built for winter XD The poos (good) in the house are generally in the litter tray or the usual places, and we haven't had any wees outside of litter trays, which I'm quite surprised about. I'm a little worried she can't reach up for the hanging hayrack quite well enough but we can fix that if necessary :)

Ha ha, he doesn't need this ego boost! I maintain it's because he's not very good at being a bunny! XD Not sure what he is but he's a terrible bunny! :lol:

If Chibbs is not used to being with bunnies though, she won't realise. It's possibly even working in his favour :lol:

If Chibbs is not used to being with bunnies though, she won't realise. It's possibly even working in his favour :lol:
Ha ha, probably! She definitely seems more bunny than him :D Maybe she thinks she's weird? Lopsy doesn't really do any thinking ;P Whatever it is, it's DEFINITELY working in his stomach's favour! :D

Back