• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male bunnies false pregnancy :s

Hi first time here. I'm posting for my mum who has two boys who are a couple and very close. Everything has been fine with them, they are both neutered and about 2yrs old. The last few months however they have had baby probs. One of them has taken on the female role and is in charge. His bf is digging and nest building and humping and he is building some too and being a bit melodramatic. Everywhere I look to get advice is about m/f or two girls having a phantom pregnancy. Mum doesn't want to seperate them because they get upset when not together but the lack of babies ect is stressing them and the other bunnies out aswell as mum. (the other buns are in seperate cages but there is a communal area where they all go sometimes seperately). Sorry about grammar/spelling but on phone. Has anyone else had this with two boys and what can we do?

Bumping up for you, I have had bonded boys but didn’t have that so I can’t advise.

Welcome to the forum btw :wave:

I've not experienced the nest building with bucks, but I had a family of 4 bonded Rexes, 3 bucks and 1 doe. The two sons occasionally used to hump each other and their father. It never resulted in any of them being upset by the event though. I'm not sure I've understood the set-up properly, but if they can see and smell other bunnies it might be leading to this sort of behaviour.

I think if it were me, I would wait and see. Sometimes this type of behaviour is a dominance issue, but as both bucks are doing it, that is unlikely. Your Mum might find that it stops as quickly as it's started. If it persists, I might be persuaded to take them both for a check-up at the vets to ensure that there are no health issues.

She has taken them to the vets but they say everything's fine. Gus (who has taken the female role) has a bit of a urine infection but the vet says it's diet (it's not, mum's super careful). It's been going on for a few months now. They seem really broody, but the vet just says leave it. They are in the same room as another male but in a seperate cage. There are girls but they are in a diff room and in their own cages. They all run in their own rooms, but they do all get to see each other. Thankyou for the advice so far.

She has taken them to the vets but they say everything's fine. Gus (who has taken the female role) has a bit of a urine infection but the vet says it's diet (it's not, mum's super careful). It's been going on for a few months now. They seem really broody, but the vet just says leave it. They are in the same room as another male but in a seperate cage. There are girls but they are in a diff room and in their own cages. They all run in their own rooms, but they do all get to see each other. Thankyou for the advice so far.

I think it's possibly the other male in the room that's causing the behaviour. Is it possible to house him in a different room? I would certainly give this a try anyway.

Back