• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Permanent Bases for Runs?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I'm working on sorting out permanent bases for permanent runs attached to the shed that the bunnies will be able to access 24/7. I'm not going to opt for grass, because I know it will turn to mud very quickly. These are the three options I have in mind:

1. Concrete slabs. I'm a bit concerned about the cost of these for how large the run is, but they would be an investment and easy to sweep up poops etc.

2. Gravel. Perhaps a cheaper option, but I wonder if it would hurt their feet? I know you can get quite small pea-sized gravel, but then I wonder if that would be a choking hazard or else they may just dig it all over the place.

3. Bark. Are there any particular barks which are safe for bunnies?

Would love to know what you guys think about this :)

I'm working on sorting out permanent bases for permanent runs attached to the shed that the bunnies will be able to access 24/7. I'm not going to opt for grass, because I know it will turn to mud very quickly. These are the three options I have in mind:

1. Concrete slabs. I'm a bit concerned about the cost of these for how large the run is, but they would be an investment and easy to sweep up poops etc.

2. Gravel. Perhaps a cheaper option, but I wonder if it would hurt their feet? I know you can get quite small pea-sized gravel, but then I wonder if that would be a choking hazard or else they may just dig it all over the place.

3. Bark. Are there any particular barks which are safe for bunnies?

Would love to know what you guys think about this :)

We used the cheapest concrete slabs we could find and, yes, they are very easy to manage. They can be swept easily, washed if necessary and they don't retain moisture. They are also good for keeping bunnies' nails worn down.

I wouldn't use gravel as I think there is the danger of them digging. I also think that poop will get inbetween the gravel and it will be difficult to keep clean.

I've no experience with bark, but joey&boo has used this.

I managed to get loads of slabs second-hand, I think you are supposed to put sand underneath but I didn't but it pays to do the job properly. I would use the smooth ones, not ones with a pattern on as the dust and poops gets stuck making it difficult to sweep them.

I used playbark on top of a weldmesh base. It has to be playbark not ornamental bark as ornamental bark is treated with fungicides and colours and other chemicals. It drained well, ours was on top of 6 inches of hardcore, topped with 6 inches of soil, and after they dug out of that :shock::lol: we put weldmesh on top and the bark on top. I bought mine from B&Q but this is quite a few years ago. I think they had 3 big square bags on a special deal which covered my 17ft x 10ft run with a thick layer. I topped it up a little with a bag or so each year. It looks like B&Q don’t have it now but wickes do https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pla...u32GvZQ5QNO5SHleR9oaAoGuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used playbark on top of a weldmesh base. It has to be playbark not ornamental bark as ornamental bark is treated with fungicides and colours and other chemicals. It drained well, ours was on top of 6 inches of hardcore, topped with 6 inches of soil, and after they dug out of that :shock:[emoji38] we put weldmesh on top and the bark on top. I bought mine from B&Q but this is quite a few years ago. I think they had 3 big square bags on a special deal which covered my 17ft x 10ft run with a thick layer. I topped it up a little with a bag or so each year. It looks like B&Q don’t have it now but wickes do https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pla...u32GvZQ5QNO5SHleR9oaAoGuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yep I use exactly what Zoobec has linked in my outside run, over the top of 12G welded mesh. You have to keep topping it up though as it seems to lose height after a while. So it's not something you'll do once, well you could, but the mesh starts to show through and I worry about it being tough on the buns feet, so we just chuck a few more bags on top.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Slabs can often be found on Freecycle, Gumtree etc. for free if you have transport. If you can drive, a small van can be hired for <£40 for a day but it's not always easy to get to the hire place. I do have a load of half and complete slabs I need shot of but I need to get to them yet and that needs dry, warm weekend to sort the garage out, so if it's anything like last Summer it'll be September next year :S

Back