• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female confused nest building behaviour

Zoe99

New Kit
hi my female is not normal I am waiting for my stomach operation before she can be sprayed so I can then care for her. In the meantime she is not being a normal female. My last female would mate for 2 days,build nest for 2 days, have babies (pretend ones as male is sprayed)for 2 days then back to normal for 3 weeks before cycle started again.
My new female mates, pulls out fluff but no nest over night then next morning back to mating for 3 days then normal for 3 weeks. I say normal she can be quite distructive and is obsessed with digging even though always a house bunni. My male ignores her behaviour and has his own routine he is a good boy.
Can anyone offer any explanation?

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

I would say that your doe sounds like she is displaying normal hormonal behaviours. Not all does will react to hormones in exactly the same way and they do not have cycles. My current doe used to dig out her litter tray contents before she was spayed. She also used to nip her bonded male partner and made a couple of nests.

All of this stopped as soon as she was spayed and I think you will find that your doe will as well.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

I would say that your doe sounds like she is displaying normal hormonal behaviours. Not all does will react to hormones in exactly the same way and they do not have cycles. My current doe used to dig out her litter tray contents before she was spayed. She also used to nip her bonded male partner and made a couple of nests.

All of this stopped as soon as she was spayed and I think you will find that your doe will as well.

My first female was well behaved so this behaviour is a bit of a shock for me, glad to hear getting her sprayed should help I will see if I can get some support as need to get her done very soon. Thank you for your help.

Your bun isn’t badly behaved, she's just being hormonal. Most likely this’ll stop once she’s been spayed. I think of this as ‘teenage behaviour’ - if she was human, she’d probably slam doors and swear at you :D

Back