• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a trio journey!! (updated 4th April)

b7575a83bdb2cb1d707229d9cfa47d1c.jpg

Enjoying some dinner together :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've all been very sleepy today. Literally all conked out all day. I don't know if it's the hotter weather?

Day 8. Another peaceful night (I think, I slept without disturbances!). Not enjoying the heat today but they are enjoying the tiles and breeze from the fan :love:

ebf4ae84afb0e18db81e4f14ce1083d5.jpg

Little update!

The rabbits are still together, it’s been around 12 days. We increased their space a little over the past few days and they now have access to our room, the landing and our spare room. There has been no fighting but lots of binkies from all 3! Especially when I caught Britney digging the carpet up! Lots of binkies followed :lol:

Britney and Whitney still snuggle together almost constantly. Sometimes Phillip sits near them but more often than not they sit like this:

aae3153c5c22749cae92d709f15db44c.jpg

The girls groom him from time to time and they all seem happy so I don’t think that’s a problem? Does anyone have any thoughts - are they likely to get closer over time?

I think they probably will get closer in time - my trio did but they also went back & forwards a fair bit :love:

Its fine IMO - Phillip has snuggles & bunny company. He also has his rep to preserve - he doesn't wan't to come on all needy & declaring his undying love too soon :lol:

I think they probably will get closer in time - my trio did but they also went back & forwards a fair bit :love:

Its fine IMO - Phillip has snuggles & bunny company. He also has his rep to preserve - he doesn't wan't to come on all needy & declaring his undying love too soon :lol:

Yes I get that - after I wrote the last post Britney lunged and nipped at him :lol: silly rabbits.

Thank you for the affirmation. I think it works, he likes his own space, especially if he’s having an off day with his arthritis, but knows they are (hopefully) there when he needs them :lol:

Doubting myself today. The 3 rabbits have been together for around three weeks. They predominantly live in our big spare room. They have access to our room and the landing too but only Phillip tends to use those spaces. The girls are still timid and know the spare room is their safe space I think.

Anyway they get on fine, there is the occasional nip and chase over food but nothing major. I'm just worried Phillip is left out though. He seems really happy and spends the majority of his time snoozing, as he always has done. The girls are still inseparable, they're almost like 1 large rabbit, and their bond hasn't been affected in the slightest by adding Phillip, but to me they don't seem bonded. They don't snuggle with Phillip, they occasionally groom him but they don't sit together at all that I can see. Phillip doesn't go over to them generally and they don't generally go over to him. It's like they just co-exist.
I don't know what to make of it all. Like I say every bun seems happy. Getting another rabbit isn't an option and I don't want to separate as I don't think Phillip was any happier when he was on his own. Does anyone have any advice?

I’ve not had a trio before only a quad which was the result of me bonding my 2 boys (brothers) with my 2 girls (sisters) and there were definitely fleeting times especially in the early days when it looked like I had a trio and 1 bun and sometimes things would go forwards and backwards a little.

It’s good that the bond between your girls hasn’t been affected :love: It sounds like they are all happy and if they are happy, then imo Philip coexisting with the girls is better than him being on his own. You could try restricting them all to the spare room to try to cement the bond further. Group bonds do seem to take a while longer to develop and relax into each other’s company because of all the dynamics involved.

I’ve not had a trio before only a quad which was the result of me bonding my 2 boys (brothers) with my 2 girls (sisters) and there were definitely fleeting times especially in the early days when it looked like I had a trio and 1 bun and sometimes things would go forwards and backwards a little.

It’s good that the bond between your girls hasn’t been affected :love: It sounds like they are all happy and if they are happy, then imo Philip coexisting with the girls is better than him being on his own. You could try restricting them all to the spare room to try to cement the bond further. Group bonds do seem to take a while longer to develop and relax into each other’s company because of all the dynamics involved.

This is my view too. I think all bunny relationships are slightly different, much in the same way as human relationships. Tethra and Tui get on very well, but are not nearly as snuggly as Tethra was with his Mum, Dad and Brother. But he seems happy enough and for me that's the main thing. I watched yesterday as Tethra was snoozing very contentedly at the front of a litter tray outside (the part of the tray which was in the sunshine). Tui was fidgeting at the other end of the litter tray. Then she very deliberately went up to Tethra and kept nudging him to move. He resisted for a while and then moved to allow her to take his sunny spot and flopped down at the other end of the tray. I recount this because Tethra looked just as happy at the other end of the tray :) It's very likely that bunnies don't feel the same emotions as we would.

As long as they all look happy, I would leave them be and not try to force any change.

Our bunnies have always spent a lot of time apart (we have lots of areas and it's imortant for us to be able to have that sort of space) and Lopsy doesn't do any grooming but demands grooms, but he's definitely the bottom bun by the amount of humping he gets. I've always put it down to him not being a very good rabbit rather than any bond issue, as everybun seems happy :)

In my quads early days (2 impulse buy pet shop brothers bonded to two rescue sisters) there were times when Daisy got left out. They gradually settled and although shenis sometimes on her own she is often cuddled up to Frosty or to her sister, Tessie.

Bonds evolve over time.

Yours sounds peaceful and companiable. Dont worry!

In my quads early days (2 impulse buy pet shop brothers bonded to two rescue sisters) there were times when Daisy got left out. They gradually settled and although shenis sometimes on her own she is often cuddled up to Frosty or to her sister, Tessie.

Bonds evolve over time.

Yours sounds peaceful and companiable. Dont worry!

this & so many other wise words you've received

Thanks everyone for all the words, advice and reassurance. It's much appreciated.
I just panic a lot when the rabbits are involved! I've actually caught them over the past few days all snoozing in their house together, not cuddling, but sitting closely which is definitely a good sign! :love:

this is lovely to hear:love:

My trio dynamics were different but they did progress to getting closer & closer in their lying positions & then Boo woke up & forgot herself :lol:& groomed Mouse.
I miss my trio.

Back