• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toasty's making light wheezing/snorting sounds

Hi, good to hear from you again :)

I have experienced a rabbit scream as he was dying and I totally agree with you it is extremely distressing :( I'm not 100% sure that the rabbit is still conscious at this stage though and aware of anything.

Sending lots of hugs to you.

A similar thing happened to my bridge boy Rio.He slept in my room and I was woken by him screaming at 5.00am.I rushed to him and he was partially collapsed,he tried to crawl to me,screamed once more and was gone.This was nearly nine years ago.It is very distressing but in way it was quick.He was eight years old,he too is buried in my garden in front of a huge fern that unfurls its new fronds every year.x

I experienced this several times, even on the way to or from emergency vet(when still available). Before Dash passed away in September he was unconscious and limp minutes before he passed, then he gasped and I heard a squeaky loud noise as he stretched. I held him tight and kissed him goodbye.
Bunnies can change quickly and time may not always allow another option. Our bunnies were with the ones they loved.
I questioned why I did not let him go during recent vet visit. Then I reminded myself that he recovered in the past so my only mistake was not being able to to predict the future.
Our bunnies got a lot of love.
I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
No I didn't experience this with my bridge bun Toffee, but he was helped to sleep. I can understand how this must have been distressing for you, but I agree Toasty was probably unaware of what was happening. You obviously had a very close bond with him, and he was a lucky bun to be in your loving care. I hope the pain of his loss lessens in time, and you can enjoy the happy memories you have of him. Big hugs xxx

You've been in my thoughts these past 2 weeks Toasty. It was clear how much you loved your bun & I know you'll be hurting like crazy. I haven't experienced it but I've regularly heard of rabbits screaming towards the very end of their lives. You did everything you could, including giving him lots of happy, well cared for years. Hugs xx
I'm so sorry, I've experienced this too, it's very upsetting, sending you lots of hugs xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

A similar thing happened to my bridge boy Rio.He slept in my room and I was woken by him screaming at 5.00am.I rushed to him and he was partially collapsed,he tried to crawl to me,screamed once more and was gone.This was nearly nine years ago.It is very distressing but in way it was quick.He was eight years old,he too is buried in my garden in front of a huge fern that unfurls its new fronds every year.x

Thanks for sharing your story with me <3. It brings me some comfort to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this distressing moment. It was quick for my rabbit too and he was 6 years and 5 months old. That is a lovely place to bury your rabbit <3. My boy is buried behind my pond with little bushes and trees close by. I hope Rio and Toasty are doing lots of binkies at the rainbow bridge x

No I didn't experience this with my bridge bun Toffee, but he was helped to sleep. I can understand how this must have been distressing for you, but I agree Toasty was probably unaware of what was happening. You obviously had a very close bond with him, and he was a lucky bun to be in your loving care. I hope the pain of his loss lessens in time, and you can enjoy the happy memories you have of him. Big hugs xxx

Thank you <3. I appreciate your kind words, it means a lot to me. Posting on this thread again has suddenly made me feel a bit better. It's the first time that I was able to look at pictures of him again, it reminds me of the happier times he had and that I had with him :love:

Hi, good to hear from you again :)

I have experienced a rabbit scream as he was dying and I totally agree with you it is extremely distressing :( I'm not 100% sure that the rabbit is still conscious at this stage though and aware of anything.

Sending lots of hugs to you.

Thanks Omi, when he screamed he stretched out his body like he was yawning but in a frightened way. I picked him up quickly and he made one last sound while he looked at me and then became unconscious. Thanks for your hugs x

I experienced this several times, even on the way to or from emergency vet(when still available). Before Dash passed away in September he was unconscious and limp minutes before he passed, then he gasped and I heard a squeaky loud noise as he stretched. I held him tight and kissed him goodbye.
Bunnies can change quickly and time may not always allow another option. Our bunnies were with the ones they loved.
I questioned why I did not let him go during recent vet visit. Then I reminded myself that he recovered in the past so my only mistake was not being able to to predict the future.
Our bunnies got a lot of love.
I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much bunny momma <3. Toasty too recovered in the past and I agree with you. We don't know how the future is written. Our bunnies were for sure loved to bits x

Back