• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toasty's making light wheezing/snorting sounds

Toasty123

Warren Scout
Hi guys, I wanted to let you guys know that Toasty has just started to make light wheezing sounds frequently this evening. His head bobs up and down, when this happens. It happens for a few mins then stops for a minute. I noticed a bit in the morning and regret not taking him to the vet :cry:. I would of taken him to the emergency vet tonight but can't afford it :(. The receptionist told me it would be £200 and then told the vet the problem, which the vet suggested to monitor Toasty during the night and take him to the vet first thing in the morning, which I'm going to do. He had 0.12ml of the Terramycin LA injection for snuffles as he had a little crust under his nose and it was slightly wet, which was suppose to last for 3 days and he got it on the 28th of December. Please send good vibes for my little Toasty. I'm going to be up all night looking after him. I think this is the reason he was looking withdrawn but I didn't see any symptoms except for him shuffling and sleeping a lot, which I thought was because of his sore leg and now i feel awful :oops:.

:cry: Sending lots of vibes. Most vets will offer payment plans, I would try to get him seen ASAP as they are so fragile.

Hi guys, I wanted to let you guys know that Toasty has just started to make light wheezing sounds frequently this evening. His head bobs up and down, when this happens. It happens for a few mins then stops for a minute. I noticed a bit in the morning and regret not taking him to the vet :cry:. I would of taken him to the emergency vet tonight but can't afford it :(. The receptionist told me it would be £200 and then told the vet the problem, which the vet suggested to monitor Toasty during the night and take him to the vet first thing in the morning, which I'm going to do. He had 0.12ml of the Terramycin LA injection for snuffles as he had a little crust under his nose and it was slightly wet, which was suppose to last for 3 days and he got it on the 28th of December. Please send good vibes for my little Toasty. I'm going to be up all night looking after him. I think this is the reason he was looking withdrawn but I didn't see any symptoms except for him shuffling and sleeping a lot, which I thought was because of his sore leg and now i feel awful :oops:.

Poor Toasty. I do feel that his problems may all be Dental related, including his respiratory symptoms. His recent 'conscious dental' really cannot have established the full picture, especially regarding his tooth roots. That aside, he needs to be seen by a Bunny Savvy Vet first thing this morning. Hopefully the Upper Respiratory Tract Infection wont have now gone down onto his lungs, but this needs to be investigated. It could be that the wheezing is due to severe nasal congestion. Nebulising him 2-3 times a day should be beneficial. As would giving a mucolytic such as Bisolvon to thin out the mucus and allow it to drain out more easily . I wont post lots of links to information now, as the most important thing to do is to get Toasty to the Vet as soon as they open. Personally I'd be on their doorstep for opening time and say that your Rabbit has a known RTI and is now showing signs which may indicate 'respiratory distress'. Dont let them make you feel bad about doing this as the situation is potentially an Emergency.

Sending vibes for Toasty. I agree with Jane about showing up when they open. The worst thing is to call when they open and learn that the vet just went into a surgery, that they had an early cancellation that is no longer available/or that you could not get there in time.

Poor Toasty. I do feel that his problems may all be Dental related, including his respiratory symptoms. His recent 'conscious dental' really cannot have established the full picture, especially regarding his tooth roots. That aside, he needs to be seen by a Bunny Savvy Vet first thing this morning. Hopefully the Upper Respiratory Tract Infection wont have now gone down onto his lungs, but this needs to be investigated. It could be that the wheezing is due to severe nasal congestion. Nebulising him 2-3 times a day should be beneficial. As would giving a mucolytic such as Bisolvon to thin out the mucus and allow it to drain out more easily . I wont post lots of links to information now, as the most important thing to do is to get Toasty to the Vet as soon as they open. Personally I'd be on their doorstep for opening time and say that your Rabbit has a known RTI and is now showing signs which may indicate 'respiratory distress'. Dont let them make you feel bad about doing this as the situation is potentially an Emergency.

Hi Jane, I rang and took Toasty to the vet first thing, thankfully there was an appointment available. She listened to his lungs with a stethoscope and said she could here some noise and gave another injection of the Terramycin. She told me he'll need to be on a course for it. They put him in an oxygen chamber now, as he was opening his mouth. I really do hope its not an infection in his lungs. The vet did ask me if there was any nasal discharge, which there wasn't. I hope they do neubulise him as well, as I was thinking it could be nasal congestion, but the vet didn't say so. The vet is going to give me a call in a couple of hours, I'm not sure if I should ring and suggest to neubalise him :(

Last edited:
Sending vibes for Toasty. I agree with Jane about showing up when they open. The worst thing is to call when they open and learn that the vet just went into a surgery, that they had an early cancellation that is no longer available/or that you could not get there in time.

Thanks bunny moma. Fortunately there was an appointment available first thing so the vet was able to see him. In fact she was stood near the reception when I came in, so she knew it was an emergency. Took him straight in and gave an injection of the terramycin and now they have put Toasty in an oxygen chamber :(

:cry: Sending lots of vibes. Most vets will offer payment plans, I would try to get him seen ASAP as they are so fragile.

Thanks Zoobec, he's going to be at the vets for a couple of ours now, I'm just dreading the call from the vet, I'm just praying that he'll get better :cry:

Hi Jane, I rang and took Toasty to the vet first thing, thankfully there was an appointment available. She listened to his lungs with a stethoscope and said she could here some noise and gave another injection of the Terramycin. She told me he'll need to be on a course for it. They put him in an oxygen chamber now, as he was opening his mouth. I really do hope its not an infection in his lungs. The vet did ask me if there was any nasal discharge, which there wasn't. I hope they do neubulise him as well, as I was thinking it could be nasal congestion, but the vet didn't say so. The vet is going to give me a call in a couple of hours, I'm not sure if I should ring and suggest to neubalise him :(

Oh dear, it sounds as though he has pneumonia :cry: Nebulising at this stage will not be beneficial, Oxygen therapy is essential. He will almost certainly need to be hospitalised for a few days to receive intensive care. He will definitely need to be on a long course of abx. He may also need additional medication (bronchodilators) to try to open up his airways and possible a diuretic if he has a lot of fluid on his chest. Sending millions of vibes for him x

Oh dear, it sounds as though he has pneumonia :cry: Nebulising at this stage will not be beneficial, Oxygen therapy is essential. He will almost certainly need to be hospitalised for a few days to receive intensive care. He will definitely need to be on a long course of abx. He may also need additional medication (bronchodilators) to try to open up his airways and possible a diuretic if he has a lot of fluid on his chest. Sending millions of vibes for him x

I'm in tears right now, he's a strong one he recovered from possible E.C infection in July and I'm hoping he makes it through this one as well. It all doesn't seem real I don't know what I'd do without him he's been on my side for 6 years :cry:

I'm in tears right now, he's a strong one he recovered from possible E.C infection in July and I'm hoping he makes it through this one as well. It all doesn't seem real I don't know what I'd do without him he's been on my side for 6 years :cry:

Would he have to have an x-ray for the vets to see if he has any fluid on his chest?

Would he have to have an x-ray for the vets to see if he has any fluid on his chest?

The Vet may be able to pick it up by auscultating his chest (listening with a stethoscope). I would imagine that if the Vet did need to Xray him he/she would only consider attempting a conscious Xray. It is possible for a Rabbit to recover from Pneumonia/ a lower Respiratory Tract infection, but a lot of intensive care is needed. He is receiving that now, so you know you have done all you can for him. If he can come off Oxygen and remain 'stable' (no mouth breathing) that would be an optimistic sign.

Back