• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing problems.

Hello! I have 2 dwarf rabbits, one boy and one girl, neutered and spayed, brother and sister. They have been so good and caused us no issues for a good 7/8 months we got them from 4 week old from an unsavoury breeder.

They live in a 10ft by 5ft kennel which we have converted to home them. Indoor and outdoor area separated by a door for cold days/nights. The outside area is half slate half grass and we top up the grass with fresh turf every few weeks. They have a good diet and seem active and happy.

BUT over the last 2 days they have been on a rampage, they have chewed through there feeder rack (wooden), destroyed the mats we had down for warmth, shredded anything worth shredding and tonight we have found a tunnel to outside they have proudly dug! I can now not let them roam this evening or tomorrow til I finish work and can sort how to stop them escaping!

What can I do to create an environment where they don't rampage yet keep them happy? I'm open to anything! Any suggestions!

Thanks,

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

First, I would mesh under the grass area so they can't dig out.
Then look at providing more enrichment - tunnels, boxes to hide in / jump on, hay racks (eg hanging baskets), branches to chew (preferably with leaves on eg willow, apple) at different heights
Scatter food to keep them moving around, rather than putting it in a bowl.
Give them eg empty plastic plant pots to chuck around

They sound very lucky bunnies:love: I would put weldmesh under the turf to stop them digging out. You could try giving them lots of things to chew such as apple sticks, chill and chew mats etc. If you can give them plenty of things to keep them busy, such as tunnels, different levels, digging boxes etc that may help. I’ve had bunnies do the same myself in the past :lol:

Back