• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutralising outdoor spaces

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Hopefully I'll be bringing Lopsy and his new ladyfriend back sometime next week: he's going off to meet her Tuesday (see http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...te-arranged!&p=7141718&viewfull=1#post7141718. It was easy with him and Aboleth, the playhouse was new neutral territory and they were a super easy bond (hopefully we'll continue that trend with Lopsy being too dopey to be awkward!), but he's been living in it for 4.5yrs, almost two months on his own, so I'm going to have to clean it out properly. I have some questions:

1.) Do I need to disinfect as well as white-vinegar-solution everywhere? It's so humid all the time I'm worrying about a lack of drying but I can only do my best.
2.) Actual scrubbing, with a brush? I usually use a sponge, will the scourer-side do?
3.) What about the carpet on the windowsill? TBH I might try and replace it as it's filthy (I think Aboleth got quite incontinent at the end and the windowsill took the brunt :S).
4.) Should I give the (all-metal) run a rub down? I might replace the tarp as well (it's kinda bust). It's on concrete so sweep up and rub down with solution?
5.) Tubes! Any ideas? Give the short one a brief spray? Long ones might be more trouble than their worth :S
6.) Clean all water bowls, food bowls: anything as long as it's rinsed well?

I intend to do the playhouse walls up to the roof and the floor. I'll remove the toys and stools, existing hay and litter trays, give the litter trays the full clean treatment (I'll actually be leaving one soaking over the weekend as I'm back in Essex for my aunt's funeral) and shutting the door to stop them getting into the run too early. Matt and I will also need to remove the tube leading to the hutch out of the run and shut the trap-hatch. I'm not sure what we can do about the hutch because without dismantling the whole dog crate setup on the front of it I can't really do much about the bottom level, plus it's got an issue with the roof which has made everything wet inside on one end and the weather isn't helping (generally damp, humid). We'll play it by ear I suppose. Not much we can do about the lawn anyway: I'll throw their poo onto it so it's a bit less Lopsy-only, and rub the pens down.

I've read a few bonding posts and links and I'm pretty confident I'm otherwise prepared and know what I'm doing when they come back! I hope Lopsy likes her, it'll be nice for him to have some company again as he's been pretty time-needy (understandably!) since Aboleth died :) He's not the most company-requiring of bunnies but he's definitely more headrub demanding :lol:

I did read that most rabbits are kinda semi-spooked by the car ride: not Lopsy! He LOVES eating through a 20min journey XD He's very special :lol: Mostly in the head ;P

As your boy is bringing a girl back home it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would put new/freshly cleaned litter trays in there and mop the floor. Most boys are not very territorial ime and the new bunny will be busy exploring. Have some treats handy and it should be fine.

Well I didn't do any neutralising at all when I brought Tui home :) I'm not suggesting that it isn't necessary in some cases, but my experience here shows that it isn't always necessary. I knew that Tethra was unlikely to be unfriendly and took a chance. It certainly isn't as easy to neutralise with outside accommodation.

Thanks both: I'm going to do my best given the limited daylight right now, but hopefully Lopsy will just let her get on with it and everything will be fine :)

Back