• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating after partner’s death - he’s gone

That is so sad, I'm really sorry you have lost Boo and Pippin so close together

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I’ve lost 3 fur babies in 6 weeks now. They were my friends, and now they’ve gone. I only have Honey left now.

I’m really not coping well

I don’t feel any better today. The house is full of all their stuff, from the medicines to the toys and hay cookies they loved as a treat. I’ve got loads for multiple rabbits, but now only have the one. I’d just ordered some things to help Pippin too, so have the upset of them arriving next week.

Their pen still needs cleaned out too. I tried but totally broke down, so had to leave it. I don’t have real life friends. My pets are my friends, and now I’ve lost all but one. I know I need to get a grip, but right now I just can’t.

I don’t feel any better today. The house is full of all their stuff, from the medicines to the toys and hay cookies they loved as a treat. I’ve got loads for multiple rabbits, but now only have the one. I’d just ordered some things to help Pippin too, so have the upset of them arriving next week.

Their pen still needs cleaned out too. I tried but totally broke down, so had to leave it. I don’t have real life friends. My pets are my friends, and now I’ve lost all but one. I know I need to get a grip, but right now I just can’t.

I know the pain well. I ordered a low sided litter tray for Rudy when he was dragging his leg and it arrived a few days after he was PTS.

You don't need to get a grip right now. You can take as much time as you need. Losing two family members so close together and unexpectedly is a massive deal, being in bits and not functioning is normal. You need time to adjust so getting a grip can wait. You're allowed to wallow for a while, pick yourself up when you are ready but talk to RU, most of us know what it's like, God knows I do.

:cry: I’m so sorry. It’s hard enough losing one pet but I know the pain of losing more than one at once is so hard to take :cry: I’m thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I remember it feels too horribly final to clear away their stuff. When I lost Ralph the best I could do was clean up his area but I couldn't get rid of it for weeks. Losing special furry friends hurts like crazy. Nose bumps for Honey & hugs for you xx

I still have the bunnies' exercise runs and they've been gone almost 3 years now. :( Don't need them for anything but can't bear to pass them on. I'm so very sorry you're going through this, weedug.:cry:

Take your time. Don't rush yourself. Grief is longstanding and must be allowed to run it's course. Not one person here would expect you to do otherwise than come to terms in your own time.

Sweet dreams, Boo and Pippin. :cry:

Thinking of you, weedug, and sending hugs your way. My inbox is always open if you need an ear. xxxxx

Thank you all. I forced myself to clean all the straw from their pen, which still had their smell :cry:, but just couldn’t dismantle it all.

I feel very much that their deaths were my fault. If I had done things differently over the past 6 months, maybe they would still be here. When Boo needed to come in during the summer, maybe I should have broken the bond and left Pippin outside. He had been without her outside before and really wasn’t bothered. But my neighbour was doing an extension with loads of noise outside his run so maybe that would have been too much. Maybe if I’d had Boo’s eye removed at the beginning, but the vet at D1ck vet thought it was best to wait. Maybe if Oscar had seen a different vet, he wouldn’t have died in agony.

A few months ago I had 4 rabbits and a guinea pig to look after. Now there’s one. My foster bun had to leave suddenly because he was unwell and wasn’t to go back outside, the others didn’t make it.

My vet is trying to contact the cremation place today to try to get Pippin in Boo’s casket. I’m not sure if they will still have her though. If not, I will need to put their ashes together myself.

Back