• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating after partner’s death - he’s gone

Thank you all for thinking of Pippin. He is eating little bits himself, mostly grass, dandelions, herbs and dried apple leaves. Not enough to keep him going though so I’m still syringe feeding, although I was thinking of maybe cutting back the amount of times I feed him a bit today. He still lets half of what goes in fall out his mouth, but he’s maintaining his weight so some must be going into him.

He’s passing plenty of poops, although a little on the small side.

Thank you for the kind offer of phoning for me Jane. Right now I’ve still no voice. I’m loathe to take Pippin to the vet again yet, because the stress will knock him right back. Just not sure how long it is good for him to be syringe fed?

I’m sorry you have such a lot to contend with at the moment:cry: sending vibes all round and hugs too xx

Would Pippin eat pellet mush or recovery food from a bowl, possibly mixing fruit or veg baby food in it might help? Frosty likes the Aldi mamia Apple carrot and parsnip pouch one, I think it’s similar to Ellas kitchen baby food pouches.

Thank you all for thinking of Pippin. He is eating little bits himself, mostly grass, dandelions, herbs and dried apple leaves. Not enough to keep him going though so I’m still syringe feeding, although I was thinking of maybe cutting back the amount of times I feed him a bit today. He still lets half of what goes in fall out his mouth, but he’s maintaining his weight so some must be going into him.

He’s passing plenty of poops, although a little on the small side.

Thank you for the kind offer of phoning for me Jane. Right now I’ve still no voice. I’m loathe to take Pippin to the vet again yet, because the stress will knock him right back. Just not sure how long it is good for him to be syringe fed?

My vets are very pro syringe feeding I've noticed & I'm pretty sure their advice would be to continue for as long as he needs it. I have a little bun in kidney failure & he'll be syringe / spoon fed for life - he does nibble some stuff but nowhere near enough to sustain him. My vets advice is to offer tasty stuff directly after syringe feeding as it can stimulate their appetite xx

I’ve gone back to syringe feeding every few hours since he’s back to not eating anything just now. I noticed before that the syringe feeding seemed to stimulate his appetite, as you said joey&boo. Hopefully it’ll work again. At this rate I think I’ll have no option than to get him checked over again at the vet tomorrow. I’ve lost my confidence after I didn’t realise how ill Boo was.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking news. I'm so sorry. Sending massive hugs . Sweet dreams with Boo, Pippin- sleep tight boy xxx

Oh no :cry: I’m so very sorry :cry: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free Pippin xx

I’m so sorry for both of your losses, such sad news. Binky free together forever Boo & Pippin. xx

I'm so so sorry. I had a similar experience last year - Erin just gave up after we lost Elijah. There really is no pain like it.

I'm just so very sorry for your second loss. Binky free together at the bridge Boo and Pippin xx

Back