• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have any particularly green hay at the moment?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
All of mine seems so yellow and poor quality at the moment. I have bags of Dust Free Hay, plus some from what used to be called Hay For Pets. The stuff from Dust Free Hay absolutely stinks.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I’ve just had a delivery of sweet green hay, which is nice and green and smells sweet, as always. The bunnies are loving it :love:

They like Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk but that’s not green. Their oat hay is slightly greener, as is the orchard grass from them, but they are going for the sweet green hay as their first choice.

I’ve just had a delivery of sweet green hay, which is nice and green and smells sweet, as always. The bunnies are loving it :love:

They like Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk but that’s not green. Their oat hay is slightly greener, as is the orchard grass from them, but they are going for the sweet green hay as their first choice.

Where can you purchase sweet green hay? I am in USA and I have issues too.

Where can you purchase sweet green hay? I am in USA and I have issues too.

I don’t know if they ship to the US but they are very helpful so you could ask. It’s from Nature’s own https://www.naturesownpets.co.uk/shop/hay-straw-and-woodshavings/sweet-green-hay-3-5kg/

I expect you can get oxbow orchard grass in the US, as I think it is from the US, I’ve not bought that in a while as it’s much cheaper for me to buy the alternatives, which they like just as much, but when I last bought it say 18 months ago, that was very green. https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/hay/

Timothyhay.co.uk is always super green tbh imo, I'm never disappointed with what's delivered :) - we buy all the types they sell, so both Timothy hays, oat and Orchard

Dust free hay, we get our straw from, which I like a lot, never been too keen on their hay though personally, neither have my buns, not sure why - it never smells as good either

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I don’t know if they ship to the US but they are very helpful so you could ask. It’s from Nature’s own https://www.naturesownpets.co.uk/shop/hay-straw-and-woodshavings/sweet-green-hay-3-5kg/

I expect you can get oxbow orchard grass in the US, as I think it is from the US, I’ve not bought that in a while as it’s much cheaper for me to buy the alternatives, which they like just as much, but when I last bought it say 18 months ago, that was very green. https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/hay/
Thanks. I have Oxbow orchard grass and while it is green and soft, bunnies prefer good quality timothy. Oxbow timothy used to be better quality, but the quality is very inconsistent this year. Some batches have a lot of tiny pieces and powder while other batches are not as green and very stiff, first cutting hay. I stopped buying boxes because I could not see contents, so I get larger bags. Weather patterns are changing and farmers have difficulty planting or harvesting.
I will see if your current provider of hay does business in USA

Timothyhay.co.uk is always super green tbh imo, I'm never disappointed with what's delivered :) - we buy all the types they sell, so both Timothy hays, oat and Orchard

Dust free hay, we get our straw from, which I like a lot, never been too keen on their hay though personally, neither have my buns, not sure why - it never smells as good either

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

If anyone knows good hay it would be the bunnies. Maybe I could take them shopping so they can pick it out themselves.
It is hard to get good second cutting timothy. Most is first or third cutting.

If anyone knows good hay it would be the bunnies. Maybe I could take them shopping so they can pick it out themselves.
It is hard to get good second cutting timothy. Most is first or third cutting.

Now that would be cute. I would never trust piggies to go shopping for hay, as they'd be all 'Yay! New stuffffffffffffffff!!!' Then when I got it home they'd be 'Why are you giving us that?' :lol:

Now that would be cute. I would never trust piggies to go shopping for hay, as they'd be all 'Yay! New stuffffffffffffffff!!!' Then when I got it home they'd be 'Why are you giving us that?' :lol:

They sound like my spouse who likes something until I buy 20 on sale.

Timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk is second to none. Amazing. Freshest, longest stems, green, sweet smelling and no weeds or thistles in it.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, all. Much appreciated. I think I'm going to have to buy new stuff but mix it in with the old, as I have so much...

Thanks very much, all. Much appreciated. I think I'm going to have to buy new stuff but mix it in with the old, as I have so much...

I’ll send the goats round :lol:they eat any bunny ‘cast off’ hay :lol:

Back