• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mowed Lawn

Can rabbits eat grass after it's been mowed? I don't mean the clippings. I mean the grass that's still in the ground. After it's been mowed, can they still eat it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I would only let rabbits munch on untreated grass. If you use chemicals on your grass it is not good for rabbits but i am pretty sure you know this already.

I would only let rabbits munch on untreated grass. If you use chemicals on your grass it is not good for rabbits but i am pretty sure you know this already.
Yes, it is not treated. Only the border is treated and that's treated with let safe items. But is it okay to let them munch in the yard after it's been mowed? Again, I do not mean the clippings.

Yes, it is not treated. Only the border is treated and that's treated with let safe items. But is it okay to let them munch in the yard after it's been mowed? Again, I do not mean the clippings.

Yes, I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't be :?

Was the lawn very long before it was cut and is there a lot of clippings on the lawn? If so you could rack the lawn first.

Can rabbits eat grass after it's been mowed? I don't mean the clippings. I mean the grass that's still in the ground. After it's been mowed, can they still eat it?

dear springversion,-the northern hemisphere is experiencing winter,your profile doesnot have your location-I want to move there.-but in answer to your question -I error on the side of safety for rabbit foods,-they donot have the stomach muscles for throwing up,-I generally cut [daily] greens for my bunz,-wash/feed--whether clippings or actual cut grass one must be very aware of what is being offered,there are noxious weeds/hazardous weeds,mixed in with the greens-one must recognize the difference here is a link for such http://www.the sprucepets.com sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I have actually read a few things which completely contradict some of the replies to your post and that actually you should never give rabbits lawn mower clippings! From what I’ve read, the heat from the lawnmower can actually cause the clipped grass to release a chemical which is actually harmful to rabbits and can cause stomach upset/ other problems so I would definitely advice against it, even if the grass isn’t treated at all. I think it is completely okay to pick your own grass for your bunny/cut some with scissors (no heat involved), but not from a lawnmower to be safe.

Sorry I completely read your post wrong so ignore my reply! Although I’d still be cautious giving them the grass straight after it’s been cut due to it being in close contact with the lawn mower and the heat it produces - could possibly have the same effect but I’m not too sure.

I have actually read a few things which completely contradict some of the replies to your post and that actually you should never give rabbits lawn mower clippings! From what I’ve read, the heat from the lawnmower can actually cause the clipped grass to release a chemical which is actually harmful to rabbits and can cause stomach upset/ other problems so I would definitely advice against it, even if the grass isn’t treated at all. I think it is completely okay to pick your own grass for your bunny/cut some with scissors (no heat involved), but not from a lawnmower to be safe.

Just to put that right: The reason to not feed lawn mower clippings is that they don't get cut, but torn and shreddered, which releases a lot of sap and cell fluids - a perfect petri dish for all kinds of bacteria that go to work within minutes and spoil the grass. It's not the heat of the mower, it's this bacteria that produce a lot of heat which builds up when the clippings are in a heap, and accelerates the spoiling immensly. Even if spread out, there are still those fluids all over the grass which makes it much more prone to spoil quickly than grass that is cut with sharp tools and remains mostly intact.

I feed fresh forage most of the year, scissors are ok, I use sickle and scythe (also for making hay). A sickle bar mower or a tractor with a reaper would be ok too, if there are more bunnies and you happen to have one of those ;).

Mowed lawn should be fine, and they'll ignore leftover clippings if they aren't good anymore and there is delicious fresh stuff all around. Well, mostly, sometimes I see my rabbits also eat wilted stuff and quite old fallen leaves - I trust they know what they are doing since they are used to pick their food.

Last edited:
Back