• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best material to make my rabbits a new home

Hello everyone, new to the forum... i am new to the whole business of keeping rabbits..i did not do enough | research before keeping them i will admit, made a them a cage with cider wood and mesh..they have unfortunately eaten through the cider wood and made holes they squeeze through and mate!! i started with two,, male and female about 5 months ago, now i have 16 rabbits in total.

Last edited:
Not sure about best material to build a home with, are they indoors or outdoors? Hopefully someone can help. If they aren't already separated they need to be split ASAP, also as the babies reach maturity they could fight so you may need to approach a rescue or somewhere that could take them in and rehome.

Hi, I’m not too sure about the ‘best material’ to use for your rabbits’ home but what I do know is that your situation (starting off with two bunnies and ending up with many more baby rabbits) is unfortunately very common due to misinformation and lack of education about rabbits. I think that you have done the right thing by coming to a platform like this one though in trying to gain knowledge on the situation. The first thing I would say is that you need to separate your rabbits into male and female ASAP. This includes creating at least two separate safe and secure areas which are not in touching distance of each other to prevent further unwanted litters. It is also vital that you must spay or neuter all of your rabbits ASAP (providing the males are at least 4 months old and the female’s are at least 6 months) to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. I don’t know how old the baby rabbits are but if they are 8 weeks or older then you must look out for fighting between them as this is likely when they are not spayed or neutered due to high hormone levels which cause territorial behaviour and often leading to aggression. If you cannot afford to meet the costs of spaying and neutering all of your rabbits or provide suitable accommodation and space for the rabbits then I would strongly suggest going to your local rabbit rescue and see what they recommend and if they are able to help you in any ways. I really hope that you take my advice into consideration as it is truly fundamental to the welfare of these rabbits and ensuring that this situation does not escalate any further to the point where it is unmanageable. If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to message me or reply to this comment and I would be happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Hi, I’m not too sure about the ‘best material’ to use for your rabbits’ home but what I do know is that your situation (starting off with two bunnies and ending up with many more baby rabbits) is unfortunately very common due to misinformation and lack of education about rabbits. I think that you have done the right thing by coming to a platform like this one though in trying to gain knowledge on the situation. The first thing I would say is that you need to separate your rabbits into male and female ASAP. This includes creating at least two separate safe and secure areas which are not in touching distance of each other to prevent further unwanted litters. It is also vital that you must spay or neuter all of your rabbits ASAP (providing the males are at least 4 months old and the female’s are at least 6 months) to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. I don’t know how old the baby rabbits are but if they are 8 weeks or older then you must look out for fighting between them as this is likely when they are not spayed or neutered due to high hormone levels which cause territorial behaviour and often leading to aggression. If you cannot afford to meet the costs of spaying and neutering all of your rabbits or provide suitable accommodation and space for the rabbits then I would strongly suggest going to your local rabbit rescue and see what they recommend and if they are able to help you in any ways. I really hope that you take my advice into consideration as it is truly fundamental to the welfare of these rabbits and ensuring that this situation does not escalate any further to the point where it is unmanageable. If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to message me or reply to this comment and I would be happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

I agree with this :thumb:

Let us know more details about your situation and we will certainly answer any questions you may have and try to help :)

Back