• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 male littermates - ideal companions?

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hey guys

As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm thinking of introducing another pair to my 2 girls to form a quad.

Does anyone have any experience of 2 male littermates becoming a bonded pair? I know there's the chance of fighting before or after neuter but I'm interested to hear success rates.

Thanks in advance!

(Ps I'm not buying from a breeder, this is in respect of an unwanted litter I know of)

Hey guys

As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm thinking of introducing another pair to my 2 girls to form a quad.

Does anyone have any experience of 2 male littermates becoming a bonded pair? I know there's the chance of fighting before or after neuter but I'm interested to hear success rates.

Thanks in advance!

(Ps I'm not buying from a breeder, this is in respect of an unwanted litter I know of)

I had a pair of brothers once that were a half wild pair that I adopted from the rspca. They had been together since birth and were very closely bonded. They were already neutered when I got them. After I’d had them a few months I bonded them into a quad with a pair of sisters that I had, and they were happy as a quad until they died.

Having said all that, I know there are lots of people whose brothers will have fallen out. I know Glingle has Pickle and Beans, brothers who fell out.

It's a gamble really and also depends on how much time and patience you are willing to put into it. If the boys are still friends by the age of 14-16 weeks old, then there is a good chance that they will be fine post neuter. It also depends a lot on the rabbits' personalities.

I prefer multiples with more boys than girls as I find them easier to bond. I have had boy littermates before with no problems. I would neuter them at the earliest opportunity, and before introducing them to the rest of the quad, though. With an existing pair of girls, a pair of neutered boys would seem like a good option.

I rehomed 2 boy littermates after I'd hand reared them from work, they were neutered early by their new owner and are very closely bonded still a year on.

I have two male littermates and after neutering they were a pain to bond, but we were very inexperienced so that could be why!! They’re great friends now though and rarely argue.

Thanks everyone. From further reading I think 2 males is my best chance of bonding a quad.

I'm excited but nervous about the whole process.

I would plan to neuter them as soon as I can. And then make sure they're still bonded before mixing them with my existing pair. More reading to do but this forum is a huge knowledge base so I'm having fun trawling all the posts!

Thanks guys

Back