• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Boo

The Skipton to Harrogate portion of the journey is scary anyway (BB will concur) but it was really horribly foggy & wet .

Booble was looking wobbly in the carrier so settled on my knee for much of the journey. Here she gifted me with a huge wee that was perfectly positioned to look like i'd peed myself with big wet stains front & back (my knickers were basically sodden) Typically my jeans were relatively pale & my coat was short. I tried to explain myself to anyone who would listen in the reception area but they all had that raised eyebrow face. The receptionist told me to take a seat & I said I couldn't as I was drenched in rabbit pee to which she replied they were too busy to deal with it. I wasn't wanting or asking them to deal with it:shock:

I hadn't told Bob about the wee because he was driving & I feared he would crash the car laughing or pee himself laughing. He parked up, joined me in reception & with a completely deadpan face gestures towards the toilet suggesting it was "maybe time to sort yourself out"

So that's the funny bit - now I;m home, bathed & with clean PJ's

Well at least you have evidence that Boo was well hydrated :)

So Booblys left eye has a cataract - still responsive to light but prob no vision. Becky felt a strong possibility it was caused by EC.

Weight stable at 2.6. Boo wouldn't let her see the very back of her mouth which is the worry. Generally she does have some spurs forming but they weren't jaggedy or pointy - like a bunny that you would keep an eye on & expect to need a dental within a few months, but we don't have the full picture. Becky didn't want to do a dental anytime soon as she is in such good spirits & eating pooing brilliantly & wants to give EC treatment as much of a chance to work as possible. If she has active EC she doesn't feel she should have a GA unless necessary. If she starts to struggle I call the surgery & discuss whether its dental time. That'll be Christmas eve I expect.

Everytime I check on her she is munching hay. Maybe she grooms Bobs head to say she is poorly & not specifically tooth hurty. The lack of drinking is what we've seen with her previous dentals though .

Tethra has cataracts, thought to be EC-related. It doesn't seem to affect his mobility or anthing else though. I'm glad it wasn't anything more unusual with Boo.

It sounds sensible to hold off on a dental atm. Waiting and watching will be a bit stressful at this time of the year, but it doesn't seem that there's much else you can do. Sending vibes for Boo.

Watching and waiting seems to be the best thing to do :thumb: fingers crossed she carries on doing well, sending more vibes xx

Oh dear, I know I shouldn't, but the wee story made me smile. Anyway, pleased that the dental is not urgent, if she's eating hay that's got to be a good sign. Really hope that she continues eating ok. Sending lots of non dental vibes for Boobly x

Thanks everyone. From now on I'm taking a change of clothes for all vet trips. She proper steamed up the car with that wee too. She is so far coping good - I just hope she can keep it up.

Omi - how long has Tethra had his cataracts? Her eye doesn't seem to bother her at all. She keeps breaking in to the spare room for a kip on the window sil; her adventurous spirit is not broken.

Poor Joey has to have panacur but no honey drugs.

Yes - she is definitely weeing so that's reassuring . She did one just before we set off too. She isn't drinking though, I'd have seen or heard it by now for sure (normally she is a big drinker)

They are only shut Christmas day at my vets & hold open surgeries every morning (except Christmas day) so I'm trying to not let the dodgy timing of this freak me out. Bob is away Christmas & Boxing Day but my folks are visiting then & they have a car.

Wow you're going through it with your bunnies. Lots of vibes for them and hugs for you.

Do you think they drink less as they are eating less as the hay/pellets makes them thirsty.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. From now on I'm taking a change of clothes for all vet trips. She proper steamed up the car with that wee too. She is so far coping good - I just hope she can keep it up.

Omi - how long has Tethra had his cataracts? Her eye doesn't seem to bother her at all. She keeps breaking in to the spare room for a kip on the window sil; her adventurous spirit is not broken.

Poor Joey has to have panacur but no honey drugs.

Yes - she is definitely weeing so that's reassuring . She did one just before we set off too. She isn't drinking though, I'd have seen or heard it by now for sure (normally she is a big drinker)

They are only shut Christmas day at my vets & hold open surgeries every morning (except Christmas day) so I'm trying to not let the dodgy timing of this freak me out. Bob is away Christmas & Boxing Day but my folks are visiting then & they have a car.

At least two years. I actually forget he's got them now tbh. He certainly doesn't appear to be at all troubled by them.

Wow you're going through it with your bunnies. Lots of vibes for them and hugs for you.

Do you think they drink less as they are eating less as the hay/pellets makes them thirsty.

thanks - much appreciated; its not the best of bunny times. I'd say the more dry food they eat the more they'll need to drink. Happily she is eating lots of hay. I'm giving her very wet dual care for extra water which is clearly working on some level. Whereas most dental bunnies drink more when they need the dentist Boo drinks nothing. I'm surprised her "need" for a dental is taken seriously by my vet given I'm basing it on her not drinking (but land at the surgery covered in her wee) & her being affectionate to my OH ; this is a cunning move of Booblys as he is the chaeuffeur

yMLmLLKl.jpg

Back