• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Boo

OFxfYFP.jpg

What a beautiful photo, she is just so gorgeous. If only they could tell us, it would make life so much easier wouldn't it ?

What a beautiful photo, she is just so gorgeous. If only they could tell us, it would make life so much easier wouldn't it ?

wouldn't it just. Thanks PM - she is such a special bunny. Anyone that meets Boo is made to love Boo (except my Dad prefers Joey and my Mum Mouse - mainly cos she can identify with her aches & pains)

The Skipton to Harrogate portion of the journey is scary anyway (BB will concur) but it was really horribly foggy & wet .

Booble was looking wobbly in the carrier so settled on my knee for much of the journey. Here she gifted me with a huge wee that was perfectly positioned to look like i'd peed myself with big wet stains front & back (my knickers were basically sodden) Typically my jeans were relatively pale & my coat was short. I tried to explain myself to anyone who would listen in the reception area but they all had that raised eyebrow face. The receptionist told me to take a seat & I said I couldn't as I was drenched in rabbit pee to which she replied they were too busy to deal with it. I wasn't wanting or asking them to deal with it:shock:

I hadn't told Bob about the wee because he was driving & I feared he would crash the car laughing or pee himself laughing. He parked up, joined me in reception & with a completely deadpan face gestures towards the toilet suggesting it was "maybe time to sort yourself out"

So that's the funny bit - now I;m home, bathed & with clean PJ's

I can indeed concur. I have done that journey in thick fog after a midnight a few times (as I'm sure NHB would be delighted to concur!!). I took Elias for a follow up on a scratched eye on Tuesday and I probably wouldn't have gone if I had realised how bad the weather was before I set off. I actually rang en route to say I would be late as making very slow progress.

I can imagine how mortifying it was for you arriving covered in rabbit pee. Thankfully not an experience I have shared. I bet the waiting room was full at that time too!

I'm glad boo is still being Boo and eating lots of hay. That's reassuring. Maybe there was some mistletoe over OHs head. I can't believe Boo couldn't wait to use the toilet - she's a rascal. The first thing thing my bunnies do when they get out the carrier is have a huge wee followed by feet flicking at me

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Beautiful photo of Boo, i think she should have a GnT

I know that road as did weekends back and forth to Sunderland for 3 years when my daughter was at uni.

I'm glad Boo is still in good spirits and is eating all her hay up. Long may it continue!

You're so on the ball with your bunnies that I know you'll be straight up to the vet as soon as it looks like she's having teeth problems. Just please don't let it happen on Christmas eve!

Will they be able to do anything about the cataract directly, such as an op?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Sorry Scraps. I missed this question. TBH we didn;t even discuss it. I'm expecting not, as a deaf bunny with typical REW vision I think she is used to coping with her disabilities. In general my feeling is I'd only want cataract surgery if the bunny wasn't coping xx

How do you tell if a bunny is dehydrated?

She won't drink, she won't take syringe feeds (though maybe I made it too liquid - will try again later) & she won't let me syringe water in to her mouth. I've not seen her eat hay, she will eat dry nuggets, urinary tract fibre first like stick things, she eats veg & grass which I'm soaking in water. She gets a chunk of cucumber every few hours . She'll eat iceberg lettuces too. She spent the night scaling high places & chucking stuff off. Her mood seems normal - I think

393ejMZl.jpg

a6fhCO4l.jpg

I think you can tell by their skin and whether it quickly goes back to normal if you pinch it. I've never tried it, but I think that it should go back to normal quite quickly.

The lack of hay eating is new isn't it?

They are lovely pics, especially the second one :love:

I think you can tell by their skin and whether it quickly goes back to normal if you pinch it. I've never tried it, but I think that it should go back to normal quite quickly.

The lack of hay eating is new isn't it?

They are lovely pics, especially the second one :love:

What is her wee output like ? Less wee and/or very dark wee can indicate dehydration. As Omi said, 'tenting' the scruff can be a possible indicator, the skin should go back into place quickly. A dehydrated animal's scruff will be much slower in flattening out. Although this method is not as reliable in Rabbits, it is better to palpate the abdomen

''Rabbits have quite elastic skin so although skin tenting and dry mucous membranes give some guidelines the best indicator of rabbit dehydration is to palpate the abdomen. Is it soft and pliable (normal), hard or doughy (gastrointestinal stasis - treat for moderate to severe dehydration) or tympanitic (gastric bloat - treat for shock!). Intravenous fluids can be given via the marginal ear vein, cephalic or lateral saphenous. If the rabbit has very collapsed veins the intraosseous route is useful. A spinal (20 gauges, 1.5 inch) needle can be aseptically inserted into the proximal tibia or femur under light anaesthetic or using local anaesthetic on the skin and periosteum''

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?pId=11343&id=5124284&print=1

A dehydrated Rabbit's eyes may also appear sunken

Thanks Omi. Yes her eating is deteriorating but quite slowly. Her poo is quite big still but dark & not crumbly.

I'll try her scruff & see if it goes back quickly.

This is a balancing act & I'm not enjoying it. At least when Rudey was on panacur with EC you could see improvement so know the treatment was working, Boo only has the cataract as a symptom & that's not going to get better. I just tried her on wet nuggets & she ate those, the trick is to not make them too sloppy

Back