• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best alternative litter tray or litter box for 3 legged bunny

Stina28

New Kit
Hi, I have 6 bunnies, 2 bonded pairs and two singles. My bonded pairs have hooded cat litter boxes that they use, I put wood pellets and hay there and change them every few days and top up the hay twice a day. My singles use simple cat litter trays atm so poop and hay go everywhere and their crates need to be hoovered 3-4 times a day. My ordinary single bun could use a litter box once he is neutered but I have no clue as to what kind of litter box my 3 legged, special needs bun could use. He also has some sight problems and gets started very easily. I really want to use a litter box with hay inside but they are usually very high up and the bun couldn't jump in or it'd be very difficult for him. If anyone has any ideas or links, I'd be very grateful. I live in the UK so can't get to Petco, Target, Petsmart and places like that. Many thanks

You can get trays with a low side used in gardening. They can be seen on youtube in mairwen guards videos featuring her rescue rabbits at cottontails rescue in westbury.

I use growbag trays loned with newspaper and hay for my guinea pigs. They would be fine cos they have such low sides.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. A lot of people on here, myself included, use the underbed storage boxes. These tend to be quite shallow, so low sided, making it easier for a bun to get in and out of, also fairly cheap. You could try putting newspaper at the bottom, with the hay on top, rather than wood pellets. I'm sure others will have ideas, and will post photos of their setups.

I use a plastic dog bed for my less than agile bunnies. I think this was a large but they come in all sizes

kxTPR7xl.jpg

Depending on the size of your bunny , you may be able to use hi-low litter box. Front is much lower than back with slanted sides.

You might also be able to use a higher or covered box if you make a ramp.
You can cut cardboard boxes to test height bunny can navigate successfully.

Hi. Thanks for the tips, the 3 legged bunny is a small lionhead bunny

My lionhead can use hi low box lined with newspaper , though she sometimes jumps quickly and her big fuzzy feet kick out poos. I would recommend a hay rack too. Low boxes can allow wood bedding to scatter too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I found an alternative solution that is working well at the moment. I had a deeper and bigger litter tray and a big hay rack so I used them. I put puppy pads underneath then a tiny bit of wood pellets on top and the hayrack on top. I made wooden ramps on two sides so he can walk into it.

Thanks guys, bad news tho, it didn't work out in the end, ended up at the vets with the bunny, he got scared when my partner got home and jumped out of the litter tray and ripped his nail on his front paw, it was bleeding quite a lot. So he is now back with his old low side litter tray and puppy pads :/

Back