• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with possible bonding scenarios

Stina28

New Kit
Hi guys. I'm new here so please bear with me. I have 6 bunnies, 2 guinea pigs and 3 hamsters. I have two bonded bunny pairs and two male singles. My first bonded male and female is Pudding, a 2.5 year old male and his partner, Daisy, a 1.5 year old female. They are well bonded and have their own room. Puddie is very friendly and laidback but Daisy hates humans and relies on Pud a lot. They do have the occasional scuffle but they are mostly chilled and loving life. My other bonded pair lives in the bedroom in a big dog pen, Hugo is a 2 year old male and his partner, Poppy is a 1 year old female. Hugo is a small netherland-dwarf but he is very territorial and protective, Poppy loves her food and is a very grumpy girl. All the bonded pairs are neutered and spayed. I recently rescues two single boys from horrible situations, they live in the dining room in separate dog crates. Archie is a neutered, 2 year old lionhead who has 3 legs. Coco is not neutered and is a 6 month's old lop mix. Coco is getting neutered next week. So my question is, what would be the best situation for them to form strong and healthy bonds? Should I bond Archie and Coco and have them live in the dining room in their own play pen or should I try bonding them with one of my existing pairs, most possibly Puddie and Daisy? Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!

It is not easy to advise really as you know your rabbits the best. I prefer my pairs but that isn't to say you can't bond 3 or 4. Personalities can play a big part in this as well. There is a member who has bonded 5 of her rabbits and there is a video I think in the stickies.

I did read the bonding journal about the 5 bunnies and I find it absolutely wonderful, however, I don't know if I should risk my current pairs to try to bond them with the others. What worries me is that I would bond three boys and 1 girl and there would he a risk of the boys fighting over the one girl.

I had a group of 6, 2 girls and 4 boys. I started with 2 boys and 1 girl and never had any problems with the boys fighting. The two girls were the difficult ones and took a while. The last 2 boys were quite easy to add. However, after losing one boy the whole dynamic changed and I had to move one boy who was being bullied.

There’s no way or knowing what is going to happen and you have to be prepared for original bonds to break but this has never happened for me. Good luck if you go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi. Thanks for the information. I think I'll give it a try after the new boy is neutered and his hormones calmed down as he is quite hormonal atm. Would you think I should bond the new boys first and then add them to the group or just introduce them altogether? I am a bit worried about the 3 legged boy, I'm afraid he'd get humped or bullied in the long term.

Back