• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible thymoma, again

weedug

Mama Doe
Looks like I have another rabbit with a thymoma, although it’s not been confirmed at this stage. I lost my little boy Fluff to thymoma a few years ago, and lately Pippin has been showing the same symptoms of the bulging eyes and the third eyelids showing, which are slightly bloodshot. Personality wise, he has changed a lot and is much more timid than he was. I wonder if his eyesight might be affected? He seems to spend most of his day hiding in his box.

I took him to the vet on Saturday and they done a conscious X-ray. They think there is something beside his heart, but couldn’t be 100% sure because his leg was in the way a bit. They sent the image to D1ck vet, who want to confirm it with a scan. It’s not till next week though. The vet checked the pressure in his eyes which was 13 and 11, chest sounded ok.

He is eating well at this point, and has gained a bit of weight. He lives with his wee wife, Boo, who has a tumour in her eye which is being managed palliatively, again with D1ck vet.

I have already decided that should this be another thymoma, I won’t go for an op or radiation for him. I made that decision for Fluff, and Pippin is much more stressed now than Fluff was. Pippin is a bit older than Fluff was, at 7. Little Fluff was only 4.

I keep hoping that the chances of my having another bun with a thymoma are surely very small, but the symptoms are the same. If anything Pippin’s eyes bulge more.

Does anyone have any idea of any other causes for these symptoms?

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Looks like I have another rabbit with a thymoma, although it’s not been confirmed at this stage. I lost my little boy Fluff to thymoma a few years ago, and lately Pippin has been showing the same symptoms of the bulging eyes and the third eyelids showing, which are slightly bloodshot. Personality wise, he has changed a lot and is much more timid than he was. I wonder if his eyesight might be affected? He seems to spend most of his day hiding in his box.

I took him to the vet on Saturday and they done a conscious X-ray. They think there is something beside his heart, but couldn’t be 100% sure because his leg was in the way a bit. They sent the image to D1ck vet, who want to confirm it with a scan. It’s not till next week though. The vet checked the pressure in his eyes which was 13 and 11, chest sounded ok.

He is eating well at this point, and has gained a bit of weight. He lives with his wee wife, Boo, who has a tumour in her eye which is being managed palliatively, again with D1ck vet.

I have already decided that should this be another thymoma, I won’t go for an op or radiation for him. I made that decision for Fluff, and Pippin is much more stressed now than Fluff was. Pippin is a bit older than Fluff was, at 7. Little Fluff was only 4.

I keep hoping that the chances of my having another bun with a thymoma are surely very small, but the symptoms are the same. If anything Pippin’s eyes bulge more.

Does anyone have any idea of any other causes for these symptoms?

I am sorry to hear this. Unfortunately from what you have posted a Thymoma does sound to be the most likely diagnosis, especially given the probable mass seen on Xray :cry: I have had 2 Rabbits diagnosed with Thymomas. Both were about 7-8. Both were managed with palliative care and both lived a good quality of life for about 12 months after diagnosis.

You have expert Vets on the case so I am sure they will give you all the information and options in order for you to decide how to proceed xx

Wanting to add my vibes here for you, weedug. I don't have any advice but I'll be thinking of you and Pippin at this very stressful time. ((((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxx

Back