• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible stasis

Help1234

Young Bun
Morning.

Last night my sister and I noticed one of our year old Nethie brothers was not himself - laying down, uncomfortable looking and not eating. We took him and his brother to the out of hours vet (not our usual rabbit vet but a good reputation locally). The vet was currently dealing with a bunny with severe gut stasis and operating on him (😱), but had a look at Daffers and said he was cold, and uncomfortable, but his blood glucose was normal which is a good thing. We left him there overnight for observation and before we left he’d had a couple of poos.

What’s the prognosis here? Is a bunny with stasis doomed to have repeat episodes? Will his brother reject him once he comes home? (Poor Clover was VERY sorry for himself this morning 😔) Is surgery on a rabbit ever a good option? (They’re neutered and insured but I have my doubts about anaesthesia for medical issues) What should we do when he gets back? He isn’t the most active but isn’t lazy. He is a very good hay eater and drinks ok too. Although hard to tell with two of them how much he is eating/drinking.

Any advice very welcome

I'm sorry to read that Daffers is unwell. To answer your questions, it will be helpful to first ask a few questions :)

It's excellent that he is a good hay eater, but what else do they have? Stasis is sometimes caused by another health issue, very often teeth. Did the vet give his teeth a thorough examination? It is however very difficult to see the back molars unless the rabbit is sedated. I would discuss possible causes with the vet when you speak to them today. Are they outside rabbits? If so, then it's possible that something has caused him stress.

I think it's unlikely that your other rabbit will reject him when he comes home if he has also been with him at the vets. Sometimes it's possible to leave bonded pairs together at the vets when one needs to stay. I would take his brother with you when you go to collect.

It's not a definite that once a rabbit has had Stasis, he will continue to get it, especially if you can determine the cause. Surgery is usually only performed, as a last resort, if a blockage is indicated, as the surgery is not always successful. If your rabbit is allowed to return home today, I would make sure you establish what medication he has been given and whether he has been syringe-fed. It's usual to provide both pain relief and gut meds for Stasis and these are usually continued orally for a few days after the rabbit has been discharged. The vet should advise you if Daffers needs syringe-feeding after he comes home.

When he's home it's basically a case of good observation to ensure that he is eating (or if not syringe-fed) and also pooing. You should also watch for any signs of aggression between the two boys.

Sending Daffers lots of vibes for a speedy recovery. Just ask if you have any more questions.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Good news - the vet has been in touch this morning and said that he seems much brighter and has had 18 poos and some hay and greens. He’s also been syringe fed. He has not had any medication. We have an appointment at 5.30 to hopefully collect him. We will take Clover with us.

They are inside bunnies. Nothing has changed so I doubt stress is the cause. I will ask about teeth tonight. I really hope you’re right about the bond! They have had a couple of fights tbh, so we’re always a little worried that their bond is fragile.

Hopefully just an (expensive, out of hours!) blip. Lucky they’re insured!!

Thank you again

Update again, Daffodil is home, he’s been charming the nurses and the vets all afternoon, and only had to pay £150 for the privilege. Since been gone he’s done nothing but stuff his face with hay and frighten his brother 🤦*♀️.

They’ve been chasing/scrapping, but also grooming each other, followed by some more chasing. So a long night ahead I think. We’ve penned them into a small area and we’re nearby and armed with a dustpan if it gets out of hand. At least he’s mobile and eating?? 🤦*♀️🤦*♀️

Oh and the vet said his teeth were a little long on one side, but no ulcers or anything. She said to bring him back in a couple of months for another look to see if things have changed.

Back