• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My New Rabbit Won’t Eat Hay...

I got a new female rabbit a couple of days ago, and she is about four months old. The problem that I have with her is that she won’t eat very much hay. A couple of days ago when I got her I filled her hay container to the brim with hay and I can see out of all of the hay, she only ate a very small handful of so. I asked the man that I got her from what he fed her, and he said primary pellets and sometimes hay. I feed Lincoln (my rabbit that I have had for a long time.) and my new rabbit Lucina (they are separated, don’t worry!) 24 hour access to hay everyday, and sometimes I give them pellets. I thought that if I just don’t offer any pellets then she would eat the hay, but that was not the case. She just didn’t eat. So this morning A gave her about a 1/4th of a cup of pellets because she needs to eat. How can I get her to eat more hay?

Thanks!

-Kaylor

I expect bunny is still settling in with you and everything is new and if her old owner fed mainly pellets and sometimes hay she is used to relying on the pellets more than the hay. As she is only young she still needs pellets as well as hay and she will get more into the hay as she settles down.

I got a new female rabbit a couple of days ago, and she is about four months old. The problem that I have with her is that she won’t eat very much hay. A couple of days ago when I got her I filled her hay container to the brim with hay and I can see out of all of the hay, she only ate a very small handful of so. I asked the man that I got her from what he fed her, and he said primary pellets and sometimes hay. I feed Lincoln (my rabbit that I have had for a long time.) and my new rabbit Lucina (they are separated, don’t worry!) 24 hour access to hay everyday, and sometimes I give them pellets. I thought that if I just don’t offer any pellets then she would eat the hay, but that was not the case. She just didn’t eat. So this morning A gave her about a 1/4th of a cup of pellets because she needs to eat. How can I get her to eat more hay?

Thanks!

-Kaylor

Have you taken her for a Vet check yet ? Although she is young it is not impossible for her to have some Dental problems already due to her previously poor diet. Have you tried a variety of hays ? Readigrass is another option

Some suggestions here :

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/by-category/hay-grasses.html

Also, a Vet check will enable you to get her essential vaccinations done and to discuss spaying her, assuming you do not intend to breed her

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?472636-Vaccinations-2019&p=7041560#post7041560

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

Thank you! I haven’t taken her to the vet. I will check and see if she lets me check her teeth later!

Without an Otoscope you'll only be able to check her Incisors. A full Vet check really would be the best option, and as I said she will need her essential vaccinations :)

Back