• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Salt Licks / Mineral Wheels for bunnies

What do you think

• Total voters
I think mine was dismissive of them when talking about digestion and things, but it was a long time ago. I've always assumed they're more waste of money than actively dangerous but I honestly don't know.

I have pondered this for dental bunnies. In hoomans salt helps heal and clean the mouth. Was thinking for bunnies with sores from spurs etc. Just a ponder

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Weirdly today Rudey begged for my salt & vinegar crisps. Since he has been ill he has never begged for any food. Maybe he needs / is craving salt? I wish I'd spoken to my vet rather than just thinking about

JJ- have you discussed with C?

Weirdly today Rudey begged for my salt & vinegar crisps. Since he has been ill he has never begged for any food. Maybe he needs / is craving salt? I wish I'd spoken to my vet rather than just thinking about

JJ- have you discussed with C?

I'm a very bad person. I had a long consultation with Ruth today and it never occurred to me to ask her. We have a follow up next week so I will try to remember to ask.

I voted harmless.

Where did this doubt start? Wasn't it one rabbit (or was it a cat, can't remember) that had some medical issue and licked too much salt, and that story went viral, got repeated and distorted so it's an "internet fact" now that salt licks are dangerous?

Mine have a block of stone salt, if they need it it they lick it (salt is essential for mammals), if not they ignore it. I couldn't tell if they licked it, since the amount they need is miniscule, but as long as there isjn't some (imho very rare) medical condition that makes an animal crave salt I would say it's harmless.

Back