• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Salt Licks / Mineral Wheels for bunnies

What do you think

• Total voters
I've gone for 'no clue', because I think it's one of those things people talk about being harmful with no evidence. That said, there could definitely be evidence that I'm not aware of.

I went with Harmful unless the Bunny in Question is on a No Pellet Diet, A good pellet will provide the salt, vitamins and minerals needed. The varied greens would provide the rest.
This bit is not bunny related but Pets in the past (Chinchilla) have had salt or mineral licks in the cages and they went untouched for months. One day they finished it in a single go. Then had imbalances and issues relating to water retention, kidney and liver issues
I'd rather not chance it and go with Pumice

I've gone for 'no clue', because I think it's one of those things people talk about being harmful with no evidence. That said, there could definitely be evidence that I'm not aware of.

I’ve voted the same, for the same reason :thumb:

Polls are fun. I thought it'd be interesting one to throw out there. My fears about salt is its one of the things that can damage kidneys if taken in excess & that it'd be really easy to overdose on calcium. I don't know how realistic those fears are

I went with Harmful unless the Bunny in Question is on a No Pellet Diet, A good pellet will provide the salt, vitamins and minerals needed. The varied greens would provide the rest.
This bit is not bunny related but Pets in the past (Chinchilla) have had salt or mineral licks in the cages and they went untouched for months. One day they finished it in a single go. Then had imbalances and issues relating to water retention, kidney and liver issues
I'd rather not chance it and go with Pumice

gosh that's scary

No idea.

My bunny has one of those lumps of pink salt on a rope, it came in a box of rabbit toys I bought. He has never even looked at it let alone licked it, but I think I will remove it after reading some of the replies to this thread!

Harmful or harmless?
dear joey&boo,-my rabbits enjoied the salt lick,it was a 1kg block,it was red-with,vitamins,minerals..--as a choice I would have to lean toward necessary,unless advised otherwise.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I used to have mineral blocks for my buns,they demolished them,most not eaten.I thought they were good for the incisors.My budgies always have iodine mineral blocks,necessary for the thyroid.

Thanks for all your replies.

Has anyone discussed with their vet? - I've not as I don't think I've ever used them so it's not come up. There is a calcium case study on RWA where there is talk of sprinkling salt on bunnies veg. That makes me nervous, I think more cos there is less choice,but then some bunnies don't always eat whats good for them anyway.

Thanks for all your replies.

Has anyone discussed with their vet? - I've not as I don't think I've ever used them so it's not come up. There is a calcium case study on RWA where there is talk of sprinkling salt on bunnies veg. That makes me nervous, I think more cos there is less choice,but then some bunnies don't always eat whats good for them anyway.

FHB mentioned the mineral lick blocks at one of her lecture days (or was it on the website). I remember her being dismissive but I don't remember if she threw her hands up in horror or just considered them a waste of money.

FHB mentioned the mineral lick blocks at one of her lecture days (or was it on the website). I remember her being dismissive but I don't remember if she threw her hands up in horror or just considered them a waste of money.

I recall something but I think it might have just been on the calcium content of different foods.

I've never used them as I always thought they were unnecessary. The RWA case study sounds interesting.

Mineral and salt licks aren't always the same thing. You can buy ones that are pure salt and some that include other minerals.

I have sometimes used them.

I want to get one of my buns to drink more, so I’ve got one at the moment. TBH tho, I haven’t seen her lick it. I bought a water fountain also, and she likes that :)

Back