• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Runty Boy

christina83

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, on the 5th of November my Runty boy passed away. He was 10 years and 4 months old. He was one of 7 baby boys we kept, along with their mum and dad. Runty’s two brothers passed away in July.

Runty had an abscess in his face which was managed well until shorty before he passed away. A few hours before he passed he ate two platefuls of his food, and was happy. At 2am his breathing became bad, and he seemed to have seizures. We called the emergency vet, and he drained his abscess to see if it would help. We got him home, and he was having seizures and his eyes were rolling back. So I made the call half an hoot after getting home to have the vet come put him to sleep.
I sat with him holding him an hour before they arrived, the hour felt like forever when we were waiting, I just wanted him put out of any suffering. Now I wish I had that hour back with him again.
I held him as the vet pts, she injected him three times because it kept blowing back, one was in the liver. I heard his last gasp. I’d never had a pet pts before.
I feel guilt for holding him while someone killed him, I feel like I betrayed him. I feel lost. And I feel broken.

It’s been almost a month and the pain feels like it’s getting worse. I miss him so much. He was my best friend.

I’ve lost bunnies before, but I don’t know why nothing compares to this. I don’t know if it’s because I pts. I don’t know what to do the pain is unbearable. I feel so depressed 😢

I will always love you Runty xxxxx

Big big big hugs. Having a much loved animal put to sleep is very emotional and distressing and for awhile hard not to relive. The pain will ease with time.

You can come on here and talk about it as often as you need to. We all understand your loss and pain.

Oh I am sorry :cry: Sometimes we are lucky enough to find what I refer to as our 'Soul Rabbit'. Whilst we may love all of our Rabbits very much, a few of us have the privilege of being gifted a Rabbit with who our soul is truly bonded. Death can never break that bond, nor will the passing of time lessen it. My Soul Rabbit was called 'Inspector Morse', for me he will always be my one and only. No other living being, neither animal or human, will replace him or make me miss him less.

Sending you lots of hugs

RIP Runty xx

I'm so sorry Christina83 xxx
Losing a bunny is a devastating occurrence and leaves a massive hole in your life. You have my deepest sympathies.
Rest in Peace little Runty. I know you will never forget him & he will always be in your heart. xxx

Sending lots of hugs. I can easily understand why you are feeling like this. It is very hard accepting that an animal (or human for that matter) cannot get better and survive. You have done the right thing for Runty and have prevented him from suffering longer.

Take time to grieve and know that we can relate to it.

I’m so sorry :cry: you did the best and kindest thing for him. Thinking of you xx

Binky free Runty xx

I'm sorry you're struggling with losing Runty :( It sounds like it was a very short timeframe for him to be ill, and it sounds like you made the right decision.

I can't say much to help, but I'll send some vibes instead x

I'm sorry you lost your little soldier :( I think making the decision to PTS is unbelievably difficult, even if we know in our hearts its the only way. That he was with someone who loved him as he passed I'm sure would have been a comfort as well as being at him being at home.

Sleep tight, sweet dreams Runty xx

So sorry to hear your news. Although when I go I know I'd been loved if I had even a small amount of what you did for Runty. X

I’m so very sorry. You clearly gave Runty a wonderful life and did him the greatest kindness when it was time. Sending hugs x

Back