• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nasty little bunny any tips...help plz

winnies angel

Mama Doe
So Luna my 1yr old female x-lionhead is the cutest little bunny until...
If ive been near another animal, ive cuddled/stroked her for too long she attacks me! Just me she bites, latches on bleeding biting (not a nip)
Ive been in bed before and shes jumped up and attacked me for no reason other than ive touched another rabbit earlier in day (been showered aswell)
She also attacks her partner, tail up and sprays but next minute shes cuddling and cute again.
Shes spayed and currently got an implant (which did quieten her for cpl of months but spraying got worse) spraying has now stopped but shes getting bitey again...
Any advice im at wits end and nearly lost a finger the other day...

How long ago was she spayed?

I'd be inclined to visit the vet to ask if there's any hormone tests that can be carried out. Our male bun recently tested as having high testosterone levels, despite being neutered. I'm not sure what the chances of high hormones in females are, but this can suggest an adrenal issue that's worth investigating.

Alternative is that there might be a factor outside of the house that's stressing her out. I know our buns went through a spell of weird behaviour once, then we discovered our downstairs neighbours had adopted a cat.

Hi yes shes spayed and has the hormone implant. My vet wasnt keen on opening her up to look for left behind tissue as its a big op. I feel cruel but think id rather do it now as its not nice being scared.
Its funny talking about it but not at the time. I literally when been near another bunny come through front door, strip in kitchen put clothes in wash, run the gauntler (cos shes now on stairs nose twitching) she chases me across landing, i shower and have to lock bedroom door or shell have me. I then stay away from her for 2days then its safe to see her as long as i dont annoy her by tickling for too long.
I start wondering is it me? She doesnt hate me but am i giving off something. Its crazy but shes worse around the 20th of each month but rabbits cycles are 14daysish arent they?

Sorry, I just saw your reply.

Do you know what implant she has? And how long she's had it?

I'd be inclined to go for the op while she's young, our bun is 7 years old, so we don't really want to try the op, but we would probably consider an investigative op if he were below 5.

An alternative would be to discuss whether the hormone issue might be caused by a tumour, in which case a CT scan could be carried out to investigate.

It looks as though females can have hormone issues due to an adrenal tumour:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crivem/2014/239410/

However if this has been a problem ever since her spay, I'm more inclined to think there's some tissue left behind.

Last edited:
Back