• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do when one bun dies?

Hollip0p

New Kit
Hi all

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but hoping someone will be able to give me some advice.

We sadly lost our original bun this morning. We found him slumped in the corner of their shed when we opened up this morning, rushed him to the vets and within 30minutes he was gone. The vets weren't sure if it was an underlying issue or if he maybe just didn't cope with the cold. Needless to say we are both devastated, he was our first pet together and was such a lovely rabbit. :(

I'm really worried about how his partner is going to cope without him. We brought him home from the vets and have left him in their house for a couple of hours for her to say goodbye to him, but what next?

I've been googling the best options and some say she will be fine if we give her extra attention to compensate but I'm 39 weeks pregnant and can't see me having a whole lot of spare time to go out and spend with her when baby makes an appearance. Others say to get her a new partner ASAP but, again, with the baby coming I'm not sure taking on the responsibility of another pet is the best option.

What would everyone here do in my situation? I have a partner but he works shifts so most of the pet care responsibility is left to me and I'm really not sure what is the best thing to do in my situation. Leave her as a solo bun for now and see how she copes? I just feel awful that she is going to become lonely.

I am very sorry that you lost your bunny this morning :cry:

I personally would not be able to have an outside bunny by themselves for any length of time. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with an elderly buck, who was left by himself and living outside. It took about 3 months before we found the right new partner for him, which was longer than ideal. The difference in his behaviour was very marked. Whilst he was by himself he was much more lethargic and perked up tremendously with a new doe.

Another option would be to bring your bunny indoors and have as a house bunny. I can appreciate that the timing of this is not ideal for you.

Omi has said what I was about to say. I was in a similar position, but my elderly doe was left on her own and living outside. She began to fade away almost immediately and it wasn't until a new mate was found for her that she began to enjoy life again. I don't think she would have survived on her own as she just became withdrawn and lost interest in everything. The change in her was remarkable once she had a new partner.

I agree with Omi and Babsie. If there are any rescues nearby, they may have a suitable partner and can bond them for you.

Back