• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Knox not eating.

How much does Knox weigh? Sorry for all the qs, just trying to help. 2 tbs pellets plus other things might just be enough to prevent him from eating the hay.

You say you are trying to find a Rabbit Savvy vet. If you start a new thread asking for recommendations for a Vet knowledgeable in Rabbits and say which area you are in, someone will suggest one. As you weren't given any meds to continue giving Knox when you got home, it sounds like you probably need to look for another Vet.

Have you tried any of these, not you personally, I mean for Knox ! :lol:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/by-category/hay-grasses.html?p=7

https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ (they will send you a small sample of each type of each if you ask :) )

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/timothy-hay-with-carrot-and-apple-1kg

Thankfully I have not had a fussy eater regarding hay (or anything !!) for many years, but despite paying a lot for some of the 'posh' hays all 6 of my current Rabbits prefer cheap baled hay bought from a farm :roll: It costs about a fiver for a 20kg bale.

How much does Knox weigh? Sorry for all the qs, just trying to help. 2 tbs pellets plus other things might just be enough to prevent him from eating the hay.

Do you mean you don't taste your homemade rabbit biscuits?

He really likes this Hay https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/deans-meadow-hay-1077.html, about the only one where he eats more than 80% of the bag.
The only one at Pets at Home that he'll eat the similar amount is the Burgess Excell Stuff.
Thanks for the Timothy Hay link will get Knox some samples and see if I can get him eating more of a variety.

No its all good, thanks for jumping in. I can't remember off the top of my head how much he weighs at the moment.
We have found a Vet for Innoculations etc and took him to one that I trust when he didn't eat so have more than one for him now which is reassuring

Have you tried any of these, not you personally, I mean for Knox ! :lol:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/by-category/hay-grasses.html?p=7

https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ (they will send you a small sample of each type of each if you ask :) )

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/timothy-hay-with-carrot-and-apple-1kg

Thankfully I have not had a fussy eater regarding hay (or anything !!) for many years, but despite paying a lot for some of the 'posh' hays all 6 of my current Rabbits prefer cheap baled hay bought from a farm :roll: It costs about a fiver for a 20kg bale.

That is a bargain for any hay, yet you get quality hay .

Even the better brands are becoming inconsistent. I purchased several boxes of timothy hay before I found one box with hay
Raven likes. I reserve it for him. Heidi and Madelyn like same strands Raven likes but they will eat heavier strands after they eat greens or the teaspoon or less of pellets they are allowed. I dread the day I run out of Ravens hay.
I tried orchard grass,organicbmeadow hay , oat hay , along withtimothy hay.

I do not use alfalfa and use timothy based adult rabbit pellets.

Last edited:
Well Knox had GI stasis again today. Went to the vets, got painkiller, the GI booster thing, take home painkillers. Have booked in dental work for next week.

Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? He just looks so sad

Poor Knox :( Is he looking any more comfortable now that he's had the painkiller? Did the vet suggest that you syringe-feed him?

He went into hospital yesterday at about 6pm. He was more and more lethargic so I rushed him in. The vets has been syringe feeding him but still no poos. Hopefully have him home tomorrow

He went into hospital yesterday at about 6pm. He was more and more lethargic so I rushed him in. The vets has been syringe feeding him but still no poos. Hopefully have him home tomorrow

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that he is still very poorly. Are the Vets running any diagnostics at this stage ?

Sending Knox loads of vibes. I hope he improves enough soon so that he can come home.

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that he is still very poorly. Are the Vets running any diagnostics at this stage ?

They talked about doing some bloods. He is being given fluids via drip in his ear. Apparently he is still very active. Seems to be enjoying the syringe feeds and has his own room now since he keeps escaping the hutch. Not eaten any food by himself yet and has done 1 dropping all day. Now we play Russian roulette with credit cards

Sending Knox loads of vibes. I hope he improves enough soon so that he can come home.

Same here. I'm confused though this is a month almost exactly to the day that it last happened. I am wondering whether company would stop it...

Same here. I'm confused though this is a month almost exactly to the day that it last happened. I am wondering whether company would stop it...

Having a bonded partner usually makes for a happier, more contented rabbit. The rabbits are also less likely to suffer from boredom as they will interact with each other.

However, if the cause of Knox's refusal to eat is due to dental issues, having a bonded partner, in my view, would have little or no impact. If the plan is still for Knox to have a dental next week, it might be a good idea to get some bloods done.

It is encouraging that he is lively at the vets.

I’m sorry he is poorly again :cry: sending lots of vibes.

Frosty was a confirmed dental bunny having had 2 dentals in a relatively short space of time, and not being a great hay eater. Since he’s had Fern, he munches hay at her side, is much happier and he’s not needed a dental in over a year (touches wood)

I am sorry to hear Knox is poorly again, though I agree with the prior post that his being active at the vets is a positive. Fluids, syringe feeds, and meds must be making his system move so he is more comfortable, plus he is getting pain relief.
Once they need a dental, they eat even less hay and fiber so the teeth will wear down even slower.
Sending some positive vibes for you and Knox.

I do wonder if part of it is stress and or boredom. He's been home since 8pm last night. He has been eating on his own but not a lot. I've given him some oral painkiller accompanied by a lot of honking this morning. Still really lively just not eating as much as he did. I have given up on different feeds as well now. Last time this happened was when we tried a different hay to the one he loves. So back to the expensive Pets at Home bales. Need to do some insurance shopping as this, with the new fish are bleeding me dry

Back