• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescuing my Neighbours Rabbit

My next door neighbour has had a rabbit ever since they moved in 7 years ago. I've always been so sad for bun as he had a tiny hutch and never got any attention. I gave them some RWAF leaflets but things didn't really change. So I then gave them my 7ft rabbit run. At first it worked and they'd put him out but didn't last long. This summer just gone I think he probably went out once. He did however escape a few times and he'd always come into my garden to visit my rabbits. Anyway the last few months his hutch has just been shoved in the garage and that's been his life 24/7. Day in day out just sitting there staring into space. The only interaction was when food got thrown in. He didn't even have any toys to keep him occupied. Just so sad.

Anyway, on Wednesday my neighbour asked if we wanted him. I wonder if maybe my 'hutch is not enough' car sticker finally worked. I dont think she actually cared about him though, she just can't be bothered going out in the dark to feed him every evening. I have 5 rabbits and I've only just got them all together as a group and it took a long time so another bun is not ideal right now. Can't put him in with mine, he's not neutered and may not be able to be because he's 10 years old! However I couldn't say no could I? She wasnt giving him away to anyone, only me so it was basically his only chance of a life. So I said yes. Getting his vhd2 vaccine today and then we will go from there. Ideally I'd love to get him paired up but totally depends on whether he can be neutered and if not if we can find a match with a tolerant spayed female.

When he came over last night he was SO sad. His eyes looked dull and sad and he was very nervous and not touching his food. After a few hours he started to perk up and then this morning he was very happy to see me. :love:

Here he is and also some pics of his horrific prison that he's been living in 24/7. Wish us luck! His name is Jack, don't know whether to change it or keep!

514565db68f6a9880dbbe2a1ab592f18.jpg
f659427d37b24b52e818a0253bd58cf6.jpg
03ae02341c8c3bec6f6b40b24f812b09.jpg
5c18b0d62e83df6572ea1c02d278a0ea.jpg
7f711b0c5f21f257afb54aabead7b640.jpg
a3d1911c7453f7a41e890eada75fb39f.jpg
922878bb8a9ee293ccd10c3dbe5a5568.jpg

Last edited:
What a beautiful wee soul,well done for rescuing him.It amazes me that neglected bunnies seem to do so well,He's a good age.:love:

He is adorable :love: I’m so glad he could come to you :love: I don’t know anything about it personally, and I might be dreaming that it can be done instead of reading it somewhere, but is there a hormone suppressant injection that can be given instead of neutering? I might have got muddled up and it might be given when there’s a problem with the adrenal gland or something though :roll:
Jane will know :thumb:

Sorry to jump on, you could have the inplant which i is given via injection (suprelorin), but they have to be replaced every 6-12 months and this may need to be done under G/A for a rabbit so would require more often G/A/sedation. I wouldn't worry about neutering as a priority personally if he isn't overly hormonal, he's very cute and will be very happy to be out of that horrid hutch and experience great care for the first time :love:

Water bottle's a lovely shade of green :( Hope he has a lovely life with you :D I couldn't have said no either, and I'm quite good at it!

I hope it works out well and he can have a better quality of life etc. He might be arthritic if he hasn't had much exercise.

Water bottle's a lovely shade of green :( Hope he has a lovely life with you :D I couldn't have said no either, and I'm quite good at it!
That is horrific! Why does someone treat an animal like this?
At least he will have some quality life now he is with you

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Awww he's adorable, I'm so glad he had a neighbour who cared so much about him and now has a good home. I'm sure that he will just be glad to finally have the life he deserves and whatever happens in terms of friends for him, I'm sure he will have a great life with you.

Sorry to jump on, you could have the inplant which i is given via injection (suprelorin), but they have to be replaced every 6-12 months and this may need to be done under G/A for a rabbit so would require more often G/A/sedation. I wouldn't worry about neutering as a priority personally if he isn't overly hormonal, he's very cute and will be very happy to be out of that horrid hutch and experience great care for the first time :love:

Ah, I think this must be what I read about :thumb:

Made me well up seeing that. So glad he is with you. I think he suits his name. Very best of luck with it all. x

Poor bun :( I'm so glad he's come to you, and that you're finally giving him a bit of interaction! Fingers crossed he can find another bun to keep him company, he'll not know what to do with himself :)

He is adorable :love: I’m so glad he could come to you :love: I don’t know anything about it personally, and I might be dreaming that it can be done instead of reading it somewhere, but is there a hormone suppressant injection that can be given instead of neutering? I might have got muddled up and it might be given when there’s a problem with the adrenal gland or something though :roll:

Yes, you're right. Our bun is about to get the implant tomorrow (he's neutered but his testosterone levels are high). It costs £100 every 6 months.

There is also an injection that can be given every month, but that obviously involves monthly vet trips. I don't know the cost of that.

Edit, I've read Liz's comment. I wasn't told the old implant needs to be removed, but if that's the case, I can ask the name of the injection for you instead.

Last edited:

Suprelorin

https://nz.virbac.com/suprelorin

Bless your heart. Jack's life has improved 100% thanks to you. No advice but wanted to send vibes for everything to work out for you and this lovely bun. :love: xxxx

He's so gorgeous [emoji7] tbh people may not agree but if he's not bothered by being intact and isn't going to be bonded necessarily I think I'd leave him as he is, to have a nice chilled out retirement with you :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back