• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescuing my Neighbours Rabbit

I'm so sorry :( How bittersweet. I'm so pleased he got those 2 weeks of heaven - please reassure your friend that this is just the heartache of owning bunnies :( & pass on our condolences - to you too.

Sweet dreams Jack xx

I feel your friends sadness.
I hope she will come to the conclusion that between you all you had ticked all the boxes and given an old bunny a short, but wonderful retirement

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I’m so very sorry, you did so much for him. It sounds like you gave an old boy the perfect and happiest time of his life and he would have known that. Xx

I'm so sorry to read this news.

You see this so often with rescue stories, Liz at Rainbow Rabbits use to experience it a lot. Somehow they must live on their nerves, on adrenaline, having to put effort into surviving... then when they get to relax and live the a much more appropriate life, they just let go. It's so hard when it happens but I'm sure your friend did nothing wrong. .. he just found peace.

I'm so sorry to read your update [emoji17] I feel so very sad that he finally got such a wonderful new home and he wasn't able to enjoy it for longer.

I agree with bunny buddy that it seems to be very common for bunnies to survive living in atrocious conditions for a long time, only to pass away very soon after finally getting a decent home. It's an awful quirk of fate. But it just seems so cruel for everyone: for the bunnies themselves and the people who put their heart and souls into trying to give the poor bunnies the kind of life they should have had from the beginning.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to read this news.

You see this so often with rescue stories, Liz at Rainbow Rabbits use to experience it a lot. Somehow they must live on their nerves, on adrenaline, having to put effort into surviving... then when they get to relax and live the a much more appropriate life, they just let go. It's so hard when it happens but I'm sure your friend did nothing wrong. .. he just found peace.
Aww yeah this would make so much sense [emoji3590][emoji3590] Thank you xx

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

:cry: :cry::cry:

So heartbreaking. I can't help crying for Jack. Life seems so cruel. Sending hugs to your friend and her family and you too. Xxx

How sad to lose him so soon after finding him a lovely home.

How beautiful that his last days were happy and relaxed.

Rip Jack.

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't around to read this thread originally, but I'm glad you made sure Jack had real love and care at the end of his life. Thinking of you and your friend at this sad time. x

What terribly sad news but so pleased that Jack had a wonderful last few weeks.

Sleep tightly little one xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was planning to post some good news today but sadly it's now devastating news as little Jack has passed away. :cry:

I managed to find him the most perfect home with my friend. We found the perfect set up for sale, got it dismantled, paid to have it delivered to her house then my dad spent 2 days building it and adding a floor so it was safe and secure. Jack moved in 13 days ago. I was so so happy for him, he had so much room and he absolutely loved it. Not only that but he had the best new family ever. In such a short space of time they got so attached and it was only last night I was telling my friend how I couldn't have found him a better home. We had plans to get him a buddy too but he couldn't be neutered for health reasons so we were letting him settle in before attempting to bond him with a spayed girl.

Anyway I've just had the most heartbreaking call from my friend, she is in absolute bits. Went to give Jack his breakfast and found him lying dead in his bedroom area. She keeps saying she doesn't know what she did wrong but I honestly don't think she did anything wrong. She's driving herself crazy 'did I not feed him enough, did I feed him too much, did he run into the door'. :cry: Jack was an old boy, over 10 years. He finally had his perfect home. He had the most amount of attention in this last week than he has ever had in his whole life, even more than I could give him when he was with me. He may have only been there for 13 days but I'm sure he was the happiest he's ever been.

RIP Jack you beautiful rabbit, I'm happy I finally got you the home you deserved even if not for long. [emoji3590][emoji24]
3a2bba2eb91656780cd5881a658a2639.jpg
a29bf4471cf4b36d0e8a4f359b1dc549.jpg

I just read this whole thread from the start, utterly devastating :cry: It's hard not to feel very angry towards the original owners. I'm sure that this scenario is only all too common - a rabbit forgotten at the bottom of the garden for a lifetime. And 99% of the time, the owners get away with the neglect with no consequences. There need to be stricter laws in place, but how we can make that happen I don't know.

You and your friend are amazing people though, you both have such huge hearts, and even 13 days of bliss must have made Jack feel like he was finally loved and cared for <3 That setup is amazing, perhaps eventually your friend will rehome a couple of rescue buns in honour of Jack? Sending lots of love <3

I just read this whole thread from the start, utterly devastating :cry: It's hard not to feel very angry towards the original owners. I'm sure that this scenario is only all too common - a rabbit forgotten at the bottom of the garden for a lifetime. And 99% of the time, the owners get away with the neglect with no consequences. There need to be stricter laws in place, but how we can make that happen I don't know.

You and your friend are amazing people though, you both have such huge hearts, and even 13 days of bliss must have made Jack feel like he was finally loved and cared for <3 That setup is amazing, perhaps eventually your friend will rehome a couple of rescue buns in honour of Jack? Sending lots of love <3
I really do hope she will do but I know this has absolutely crushed her and she said it puts her off wanting pets. She has so much love to give though and the most perfect set up.

I did have Jack living with me since November so at least he's had love since then but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that we finally had him moved into the perfect place. Xx

Back