• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible EC in an old boy u/d possible stroke?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Good morning all

My bunny Buddy is approximately 8-9 years old. Hes had a chronic kidney problem diagnosed in 2016 which I have been treating with daily Benazepet and weekly steroid injections. He's survived far beyond what I expected and just the most lovely fella. See original post re kidneys here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-so-sad-(-U-D-He-s-still-going-strong!!/page2

A few months ago I noticed he started to be wet around the mouth. I took him to vets who checked his teeth who said they're fine - no spurs or major misalignment for a bun his age. He still eats hay and veg absolutely fine. This coincided with a new water bowl which my other bunny jessica also was getting a wet mouth from using so I put it down to that.

In the last 2 weeks hes developed a slight head tilt and still very wet round the mitub which he's trying to clean up but hes quite wobbly on his legs so struggles a bit. I took him back to my rabbit savvy vets whose been treating him for the past 4 years who was very unhappy with his presentation but said to try him on daily metacam but with the thoughts that the kidney issue may have caught up with him and a possibility of e.cuniculi. she checked his teeth again and sees no issues.

The metacam has perked him up quite a bit but his wetness round the mouth is still bad although the head tilt has improved slightly.
I haven't regularly panacured my buns for years which I appreciate some would not agree with.

So I have ordered some panacur (cat&dog 10% stuff - aware of dosage) to give both buns.

Is severe dribbling or paralysis of the face a symptom of EC?

I'm happy to give the panacur a go given hes more spritely with the metacam and still eating. I dont feel hes suffering but the mouth dribbling / wetness is horrible and I'm worried it will get sore :( any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
I’ve no experience of EC so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes to Buddy xx

Perhaps he has had a slight stroke? It's just that with humans the same thing can happen. I have never read of any connection between EC and dribbling but you say that Jessica is also dribbling. Do you think you ought to go back to using a bottle and monitor them?

Last edited:
Thank you for the the bump :)

Yes I have thought about a stroke over the past few days actually. His face is absolutely soaked and is making his ear wet (helicopter ears) :( so I dont think it's just the bowl. we're back to vets tomorrow morning and I'm just so unsure. He's still eating pellets, hay, veg. Still likes a wonder round the garden but his face is a soggy mess :(

I haven't used a bottle for my buns for about 11years (tho they have a bottle available but never use it as prefer a bowl). I just changed from a basic metal bowl to a larger reservoir bowl due to the amount they drink (mainly due to his kidney trouble).

Thanks for response re EC and dribbling. This does make me relieved a bit but wondering more about stroke. Has anyone had a bun suffer a stroke before?

Good morning all

My bunny Buddy is approximately 8-9 years old. Hes had a chronic kidney problem diagnosed in 2016 which I have been treating with daily Benazepet and weekly steroid injections. He's survived far beyond what I expected and just the most lovely fella. See original post re kidneys here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-so-sad-(-U-D-He-s-still-going-strong!!/page2

A few months ago I noticed he started to be wet around the mouth. I took him to vets who checked his teeth who said they're fine - no spurs or major misalignment for a bun his age. He still eats hay and veg absolutely fine. This coincided with a new water bowl which my other bunny jessica also was getting a wet mouth from using so I put it down to that.

In the last 2 weeks hes developed a slight head tilt and still very wet round the mitub which he's trying to clean up but hes quite wobbly on his legs so struggles a bit. I took him back to my rabbit savvy vets whose been treating him for the past 4 years who was very unhappy with his presentation but said to try him on daily metacam but with the thoughts that the kidney issue may have caught up with him and a possibility of e.cuniculi. she checked his teeth again and sees no issues.

The metacam has perked him up quite a bit but his wetness round the mouth is still bad although the head tilt has improved slightly.
I haven't regularly panacured my buns for years which I appreciate some would not agree with.

So I have ordered some panacur (cat&dog 10% stuff - aware of dosage) to give both buns.

Is severe dribbling or paralysis of the face a symptom of EC?

I'm happy to give the panacur a go given hes more spritely with the metacam and still eating. I dont feel hes suffering but the mouth dribbling / wetness is horrible and I'm worried it will get sore :( any advice much appreciated.

Sorry I have only just seen this. What you are describing may very well be related to otitis media (middle ear infection).

Does one side of his face appear to droop like this ?

A0IH7XI.jpg

430anRn.jpg

Both Rbbits had Otitis Media

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

Maybe a trial of a long course of abx would be worth a go ?

Thanks Jane. Appreciate your response.

I can't say I'm entirely sure as his fur is so wet its difficult to determine the symmetry in his face. I will get a better look when we get to the vets and mention it to her.

It would be painful I assume?

Thank you all for support. We led him to Rainbow Bridge this morning. It was the right time and his quality of life had deteriorated and he'd lost 300g since last Saturday.

Binky free Buddy boy. You were a brave fellow and the friendliess of buns. All my love xxx

Thank you all for support. We led him to Rainbow Bridge this morning. It was the right time and his quality of life had deteriorated and he'd lost 300g since last Saturday.

Binky free Buddy boy. You were a brave fellow and the friendliess of buns. All my love xxx

Oh I am sorry :cry: But it was obviously the most compassionate thing you could do.

RIP Buddy xx

I’m so very sorry :cry: It’s the best and kindest thing you can do.

Binky free at the bridge Buddy xx

Back