• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit ate a slug! Update post 13

OliveTree

Warren Scout
:eek: Is this bad? The first Google result said it's very bad, the next one that it's fine, so I thought I should ask people who will actually know. This is the first slug we've seen in his run, but of course for all I know, he's eating them all the time when I'm not looking...

Last edited:
:eek: Is this bad? The first Google result said it's very bad, the next one that it's fine, so I thought I should ask people who will actually know. This is the first slug we've seen in his run, but of course for all I know, he's eating them all the time when I'm not looking...

Are you absolutely sure that he ate it?

I think the most danger would come with any diseases that a slug could carry e.g. lungworm.

Yikes [emoji51] I'd call your rabbit savvy vet asap, I only know about dogs really when it comes to eating slugs :S

Was it a big slug? Did it take him a while to eat it all? Really wouldn't have expected a rabbit to eat a slug! [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yikes [emoji51] I'd call your rabbit savvy vet asap, I only know about dogs really when it comes to eating slugs :S

Was it a big slug? Did it take him a while to eat it all? Really wouldn't have expected a rabbit to eat a slug! [emoji51]

Thanks. I've just called the vet and I'm waiting for a call back now.

It was a small slug, kind of curled up a bit and he ate it very quickly, before I could grab it off of him. I think he thought it was a pellet :( I wouldn't have expected a rabbit to eat a slug either!

Are you absolutely sure that he ate it?

I think the most danger would come with any diseases that a slug could carry e.g. lungworm.
Yea lungworm can cause issues in dogs and hedgehogs, I assume in bunnies too.

Thanks. I've just called the vet and I'm waiting for a call back now.

It was a small slug, kind of curled up a bit and he ate it very quickly, before I could grab it off of him. I think he thought it was a pellet :( I wouldn't have expected a rabbit to eat a slug either!

I hope they can help, maybe there's a treatment you could do etc to kill anything, if there's a chance of getting anything from the slug. Idk if panacur covers lungworm?

Oh yea dw I have a rabbit that goes for any plastic bags or kitchen towel, he's on it so quick and eating it [emoji849] I'm always putting my fingers in his mouth to retrieve things not easy like with a dog [emoji38]

I am VERY surprised that he ate it, but as he has I would also phone the vets to ask advice. You should ask for the receptionist to ask the vet what to do. I suspect there is not much that they could do, but it's worth asking in my view.

I wouldn't panic about it and would think of it as a risk. As he eats them, you should try to make sure thre is nothing to attract them in the run, such as uneaten food.

There's so many around right now because it's wet and warm. There's small 1-2" ones all over Lopsy's area, inside and out. There was one on the waterbowl in the hutch mezzanine yesterday :S Never seen him eat one, only seen him avoid other invertebrates on food (eats around them until they scarper). Hope everything goes OK xx

Thanks everyone. I've had a quick google of lungworm and I can't find anything much about rabbits, only dogs. I'll just have to see what the vet says.

I think maybe because it was curled up, it looked like food?? It can't have smelt like food though! We're very careful to make sure there's no food lying around at night but we do quite often hide bits of green vegetables for Benji to forage for, so I don't know if that would attract slugs? I think at this time of year they do just get everywhere though. I think the slug was travelling across the paving slabs rather than heading for any kind of food (since there wasn't any there. It was between the garden and the garage so only slug food in one direction!)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Pandora tried to eat a big slug that had managed to go into the aviary and was obviously attracted by her food bowl. There was a huge bite taken out of it :shock:

I forgot to update on this :oops:

I did speak to the vet, who was as surprised as we were that he'd actually eaten a slug! She felt that lungworm was a risk but didn't think it was very likely that he would actually become ill, so we decided to watch and wait. Thankfully, it's over a month later now and there haven't been any problems, so hopefully there won't be any now. I also haven't seen any more slugs!

I forgot to update on this :oops:

I did speak to the vet, who was as surprised as we were that he'd actually eaten a slug! She felt that lungworm was a risk but didn't think it was very likely that he would actually become ill, so we decided to watch and wait. Thankfully, it's over a month later now and there haven't been any problems, so hopefully there won't be any now. I also haven't seen any more slugs!

Thanks for the up-date and pleased that bunny is ok.

Glad that the slug didn't cause any harm. Your slug population is obviously scared of Benji the slug muncher and so you now have a ready-made slug deterent :lol:

Back