• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter box question

nap91

Mama Doe
Just after a bit of advice for the two new bunnies.

They're currently living in our box room, so not massive but more than enough space for the both of them. They have a 32L storage box with hay in which they spend a lot of time in as they love their hay. They also use this as a toilet. I did put a corner litter tray in the room too in case they wanted to use that but they haven't at all so I'm going to remove that. The problem is, as well as the storage box, they're peeing in lots of spots around the room as well, and in all the tunnels. Whenever I catch them doing this I clean the areas with white vinegar. Is there anything else I can do to stop it? Might they stop in time?

All the other rabbits I've ever had have either been litter trained already or learnt within a day or so, so this is new to me!

Hopefully when the room smells of them they will just use the litter tray. What have you got down as floor covering?

Hopefully when the room smells of them they will just use the litter tray. What have you got down as floor covering?

Just carpet at the moment.
I’ve started giving them all their greens in the hay/litter tray as well to minimise accidents whilst eating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be down to territorial marking with them being new to the room and having Phillip nearby. Often bunnies do wee and poop on anything soft permanently though.

These two are driving me crazy! I really thought we had cracked it today as there was only one towel with one wet patch on when I woke up this morning. Came home from work and the room is covered in wee again!! They are using their litter/hay tray but they’re also going everywhere else too. Understandable, I know, given they ever reduced from a petting zoo so obviously used to going wherever they liked, but it’s so frustrating.

My husband is getting annoyed and says if I can’t crack the litter training they will have to go outside in the summer :cry: :cry:

I’ve been mopping up the patches and putting the kitchen towel in the litter tray, I’m using white vinegar on the floor like there is no tomorrow, I’m trying to coax them towards the box when I see their tails lift up but I’m not hear to do that during the day consistently. I’ve just put an extra litter box with hay in tonight too.

Please someone give me some hope that this might get better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good idea sometimes to restrict them to an enclosure in order to litter tray train them.

Back