• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phillip’s not eating =[ (Much better!)

nap91

Mama Doe
He’s been funny with his food since Snowy died, not eating as much or with any enthusiasm, and not really wanting to move around much. Then yesterday evening he stopped eating altogether and is more lethargic. I’m not sure if he’s grieving or it’s his teeth.

Have syringe fed (much to his disgust) and will ring vet later if no improvement. Very stressful :sad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Perhaps the journey and all the excitement yesterday was too much for him, I hope he’s eating soon. Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I'm so sorry he's not so good :( There's been a lot going on for him & you. A vet check sounds a good plan in case it is his teeth. Is he a dental bunny?
Loads of glossy black bunny vibes from Rudey & the rest of us xxx

I'm so sorry he's not so good :( There's been a lot going on for him & you. A vet check sounds a good plan in case it is his teeth. Is he a dental bunny?
Loads of glossy black bunny vibes from Rudey & the rest of us xxx

He's had spurs trimmed down once and he's also got teeth roots which aren't growing correctly so John keeps him on Metacam for that. His eyes are quite weepy so I'm wondering if it's that, problem is I can't get to John til next weekend minimum so hoping our normal vets will be able to help :(

I am sorry to hear this. Is there anyway Phillip can be side by side to the bunnies? Toby was the same when Millie died and having Maple in a enclosure next to him made him eat again? Worth a try? Lots of vibes and loves xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I am sorry to hear this. Is there anyway Phillip can be side by side to the bunnies? Toby was the same when Millie died and having Maple in a enclosure next to him made him eat again? Worth a try? Lots of vibes and loves xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

He’s got free run of the house and can see into their room :(

Vet says his tummy feels good and he’s not dehydrated so keep going with the meds and syringe feeds. To go back if he gets worse but otherwise probably contact John to see him when we can. I feel like this is going to be a long few nights!

What dose of Metacam is he on and are you giving it 12 hourly or 24 hourly

Tooth root problems can become extremely painful so it may be that he needs a higher dose of Metacam and//or an additional analgesic.

What is his output like ?

Sending vibes for him xx

Awh poor Phillip :( sending a million vibes for him xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

What dose of Metacam is he on and are you giving it 12 hourly or 24 hourly

Tooth root problems can become extremely painful so it may be that he needs a higher dose of Metacam and//or an additional analgesic.

What is his output like ?

Sending vibes for him xx

He’s on the 15kg dose twice a day.

He’s going to the toilet but it’s minimal and they’re quite small

Hopefully some syringe feeding will help the poo & make him want to eat for himself. He's on a good dose of metacam. Does he seem in pain or just sad / not himself? xx

Hopefully some syringe feeding will help the poo & make him want to eat for himself. He's on a good dose of metacam. Does he seem in pain or just sad / not himself? xx

He just seems really sad :( so without seeing John it’s hard to tell if this is his teeth or part of the grieving process!

So sorry to hear this, poor Phillip, really hope he picks up soon. Sending lots of vibes and gentle nose rubs xxx

499571ecae8336e527ddea8914f0c3cd.jpg

Well we’ve had some investigating whilst I change the bed sheets, which is the most I’ve seen him in the last day so fingers crossed we are going in the right direction. He ate 1 tiny piece of parsnip too.

We're sending millions of vibes for Phillip. It sounds very much like he is grieving - and it's hard for him to understand what has happened.
You are doing ALL the right things - your patience, caring, observing manor is a massive support for Phillip. Hopefully when he starts to interact more with the new buns.
Phillip is so lucky to have you there for him and helping him through this. xx

Back