• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enigma -Sticky dry residue around neck line

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
So there is a continuous kind of residue around one half on the back of the neck that works its way out to the fur edge. Its grooms out by us but must continuously seep as its back in a day. If you felt it as a one off you'd think maybe someone had spilt juice on the fur, vaguely sticky but dry. Quite subtle, I doubt you'd see anything if I posted a photo. Its been going on for several months.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
I was just wondering if it was connected to the mites, but it's not then :?

maybe - i dunno. He was treated cos Mouse had / has them. He doesn't have any dandruff unlike Mouse. Can mites cause a residue to seep do you think? Its only on one side

maybe - i dunno. He was treated cos Mouse had / has them. He doesn't have any dandruff unlike Mouse. Can mites cause a residue to seep do you think? Its only on one side

I'm not sure. I've no experience of them. The dandruff would suggest that it would be more likely to be dry, but I know that some aphids for example will exude a slight stickiness. Probably complete rubbish so best ignore :lol:

I'm not sure. I've no experience of them. The dandruff would suggest that it would be more likely to be dry, but I know that some aphids for example will exude a slight stickiness. Probably complete rubbish so best ignore :lol:

I appreciate your musings Omi. The aphid idea is interesting.

Bob has a theory its the glue they used to fix him up back in February seeping through his lymph nodes - but he is full of strange ideas

My theories are foreign body or something related to dodgy kidneys

Is it anywhere near his mouth and under his chin or at the back of his neck ? Have you checked his ears, both inside and felt the ear bases for any lumps. Also, have a feel along his jawline for lumps.

Are any other Bunnies overgrooming him in the area where the 'stickiness' is ?

Is it anywhere near his mouth and under his chin or at the back of his neck ? Have you checked his ears, both inside and felt the ear bases for any lumps. Also, have a feel along his jawline for lumps.

Are any other Bunnies overgrooming him in the area where the 'stickiness' is ?

Its located behind his ear so not near his jaw, mouth etc. He lives with Pickle Mouse who does groom him but not excessively . Rudey tries to get to it but its an awkward spot to reach being on his shoulder. Happily no lumps I can find anywhere but he is at Crab Lane quite frequently & they've not felt anything untoward. His ears & tushy pegs are ok as of last full exam 2.5 weeks ago, the sticky patchy precedes that. What are your thoughts JJ?

soft fur triangle :love: never heard the expression but knew instantly what you mean. You're in the right zone though . Definitely nothing coming out of ears

Does it feel oily of just damp/sticky ?

I am sorry I dont know Rudey's full history, but has he ever had head tilt due to EC/Infection ?

Does it feel oily of just damp/sticky ?

I am sorry I dont know Rudey's full history, but has he ever had head tilt due to EC/Infection ?

I think my vets have come to the conclusion he has EC (not been tested). As you know his kidneys are bad. 3 weeks ago he got hind leg weakness (improving), I've not seen any head tilt type symptoms. You're getting me curious JJ, let me inside your head :lol:

I think my vets have come to the conclusion he has EC (not been tested). As you know his kidneys are bad. 3 weeks ago he got hind leg weakness (improving), I've not seen any head tilt type symptoms. You're getting me curious JJ, let me inside your head :lol:

You really REALLY dont want to be in my head :lol: I just have a feeling it may be ear related, but from what you have said it seems not. Maybe it's dried saliva from being groomed by Mouse. Is Mouse a Dental Bunny ? Rabbits with Dental disease may produce a lot more saliva than 'normal'.

You really REALLY dont want to be in my head :lol: I just have a feeling it may be ear related, but from what you have said it seems not. Maybe it's dried saliva from being groomed by Mouse. Is Mouse a Dental Bunny ? Rabbits with Dental disease may produce a lot more saliva than 'normal'.

Mousey has never had a dental, all paws crossed. Its kind of coming from the skin, I don't think its saliva. I shall pop him in a box & send him down to you, I'm sure he'd love a JJ cuddle.

What was the thinking on head tilt? x

Mousey has never had a dental, all paws crossed. Its kind of coming from the skin, I don't think its saliva. I shall pop him in a box & send him down to you, I'm sure he'd love a JJ cuddle.

What was the thinking on head tilt?
x

Discharge coming from his ear(s) xx

Discharge coming from his ear(s) xx

I see. I'm very grateful for your input with all our rabbits medical woes JJ. I do feel guilty though as we used to have other people who knew lots to take up the slack - Santa for example. Keep up the good work xx

I have mentioned it to 2 vets BTW

I see. I'm very grateful for your input with all our rabbits medical woes JJ. I do feel guilty though as we used to have other people who knew lots to take up the slack - Santa for example. Keep up the good work xx

I have mentioned it to 2 vets BTW
Yea we need more Jane's, so Jane can take a long break [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yea we need more Jane's, so Jane can take a long break [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I don't think I'm gonna let her go for a long break, was thinking of easing in slowly & allowing her maybe 2-3 consecutive hours off. its bad enough she has a very different body clock to me :lol:

Back