• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nugget free diet - What do I need to know?

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
Im considering switching my dental bunny to a nugget free diet (she would still have a few nuggets fed as "treats" but as few as possible), at this point i dont know how frequent her dentals will be, ive had her 3 weeks and she had her first dental on monday, i dont know where her last dental was but its likely they were fine or done about 3 months ago.

Shes unfortunatly not a great hay eater, but im hoping Charlie will teach her some good habbits. Ive tried timothyhay.co.uk, science selective and cheap B&M hay. None of them go down particularly well, but ive picked up at bag of Baileys Ultra Grass and shes eating some of that pretty well (although its got a light soya oil dressing so not ideal) so the plan is to try some of the timothy oat hay.

Anyways what i need help with is what veggies i need to make sure she has to ensure she gets all the micro nutrients that she needs?

Currently a average week consists of:-
- kale
- cabbage
- spring greens
- cucumber
- broccoli
- Parsley/corriander

Sometimes they have:-
- carrot
- green beans
- sweet pepper
- basil

in the summer:-
- knapweed
- plantin
- dandilion
- willow
- ash
- birch
- apple leaves
- brambles
- other bits of forage

Im considering switching my dental bunny to a nugget free diet (she would still have a few nuggets fed as "treats" but as few as possible), at this point i dont know how frequent her dentals will be, ive had her 3 weeks and she had her first dental on monday, i dont know where her last dental was but its likely they were fine or done about 3 months ago.

Shes unfortunatly not a great hay eater, but im hoping Charlie will teach her some good habbits. Ive tried timothyhay.co.uk, science selective and cheap B&M hay. None of them go down particularly well, but ive picked up at bag of Baileys Ultra Grass and shes eating some of that pretty well (although its got a light soya oil dressing so not ideal) so the plan is to try some of the timothy oat hay.

Anyways what i need help with is what veggies i need to make sure she has to ensure she gets all the micro nutrients that she needs?

Currently a average week consists of:-
- kale
- cabbage
- spring greens
- cucumber
- broccoli
- Parsley/corriander

Sometimes they have:-
- carrot
- green beans
- sweet pepper
- basil

in the summer:-
- knapweed
- plantin
- dandilion
- willow
- ash
- birch
- apple leaves
- brambles
- other bits of forage
dear buzzwizz619, where to start,wow..here goes,--lagamorphs[rabbits]are strictly herbivoures..-[grass eaters]-non digestible fiber,--severe-dental issues are a major problem,-bless her heart for even trying to chew grasses,generally rabbits with dental issues chose softer foods-ie.quality pellets-[for digestible food/vitamins],-treats of vegies.please view my main website for alternative feeding-- http://www.medirabbit.com I am thinking of critical care,even syringe feeding,probotics,etc.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I'd say their diet as it is is perfectly perfect without nuggets but its a shame she doesn't like hay much. Maybe she'll like readigrass or those chopped horsey grasses people use, even better fresh grass if you can get it. I go grass hunting most days & plantain is still going strong. I deffo think you've got them covered nutritionally

My buns are pellet free and have near enough the same diet as you are describing. When they went pellet free the hay consuming doubled.

My buns really like timothyhay.co.uk the soft one, the hay box club and alfalfa king timothy hay.

I do give my bunnies a couple of pellets with breakfast as they are indoor buns and need the vitamin D supplement. I read that vitamin D is important for dental buns .

Have you tried mixing the forage In the hay?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Vitamin D is important for the rabbit's bones, either getting it from sunshine :roll: or in their food. Pellets have the right combination of the vitamins and minerals rabbits need.

I'd say their diet as it is is perfectly perfect without nuggets but its a shame she doesn't like hay much. Maybe she'll like readigrass or those chopped horsey grasses people use, even better fresh grass if you can get it. I go grass hunting most days & plantain is still going strong. I deffo think you've got them covered nutritionally

I THINK the Bailey's ultra grass is the same kind of thing as readigrass/horse grass, it's just got a light soya oil dressing but I was looking at fibre plex ingredients it's in that too so it can't be that bad for them.

Right now she's spent more tome eating the ultra grass than I've ever seen her eating hay.

In summer I have lotssss of grass but unfortunately I cut my grass at the very beginning of winter so it's barely growing at all now.

In summer they can spend lots of time outside and get the vitamin D so atm the main focus is getting through winter.

Im also going to get a bale of horse hay just encase she has a preference for cheap hay ��

Back