• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on spaying a 2-3 year old bunny please.

I usually make sure all is clean and quiet for when they come home, with some grass if possible as this is what they will eat more than anything although it may be during the night or early morning before she feels like anything. I normally give a low litter tray just with newspaper in the bottom and keep her restricted for a few days unless she seems very bright and she can move about in the room in this case. A lot of rabbits newly spayed wear a vest to stop them from pulling the stitches out. The Vet might suggest this, some rabbits are very good but some do pull their stitches out.

Thankyou, she loves grass so that's a good tip, one of my old bunnies loved dandelion leaves when she was ill so I might give them a go too if I struggle to get her to eat. I have planned where I will be putting her cage and I have now ordered some vet fleece stuff on amazon so she should be comfortable on that. The vest sounds a good idea of she does try to pull them out, do you know where I can buy one if I need one? I had a look on amazon but it comes up with walking harness kind of things!

Thankyou, she loves grass so that's a good tip, one of my old bunnies loved dandelion leaves when she was ill so I might give them a go too if I struggle to get her to eat. I have planned where I will be putting her cage and I have now ordered some vet fleece stuff on amazon so she should be comfortable on that. The vest sounds a good idea of she does try to pull them out, do you know where I can buy one if I need one? I had a look on amazon but it comes up with walking harness kind of things!

I think most Vets sell them, they seem to becoming quite popular (not with the rabbits though).

Do you know if she had a litter tray when she was in the Rescue as if not she isn't going to be litter trained and might need some encouraging. If you find she is messing everywhere it might be good to keep her in an enclosure as this will help her to become litter trained. Then when you see she is using the litter tray regularly you could expand her space, but they still do droppings here and there, unless they are really good.

Do you know if she had a litter tray when she was in the Rescue as if not she isn't going to be litter trained and might need some encouraging. If you find she is messing everywhere it might be good to keep her in an enclosure as this will help her to become litter trained. Then when you see she is using the litter tray regularly you could expand her space, but they still do droppings here and there, unless they are really good.

I'm not sure whether she had a litter tray in the rescue, she has been using the litter tray in her room for poos but weeing nearby on other objects, so I put a second and 3rd litter tray where she was weeing. The poo and pee problem is in the hallway, I was going to confine her to her room to start with but she was desperate to be in the hallway too (and down the stairs!). So I think she is marking her territory in the hallway. I was thinking of restricting her back into her room again to try to stop her but figured she may well just do the same again to mark it and as her spay is very soon I thought I would let her have the extra freedom for now. I am hoping that when she has been spayed, she will stop that behaviour (that's what I told my partner ought to happen anyway!). I am hoping being confined after her spay may encourage her to use the litter tray for wees as well and that would be a good time to expand her space again slowly and hopefully get her properly litter trained. We might be changing the carpet to lino anyway, the carpet has already been chewed up in places from out previous bunnies!

I'm not sure whether she had a litter tray in the rescue, she has been using the litter tray in her room for poos but weeing nearby on other objects, so I put a second and 3rd litter tray where she was weeing. The poo and pee problem is in the hallway, I was going to confine her to her room to start with but she was desperate to be in the hallway too (and down the stairs!). So I think she is marking her territory in the hallway. I was thinking of restricting her back into her room again to try to stop her but figured she may well just do the same again to mark it and as her spay is very soon I thought I would let her have the extra freedom for now. I am hoping that when she has been spayed, she will stop that behaviour (that's what I told my partner ought to happen anyway!). I am hoping being confined after her spay may encourage her to use the litter tray for wees as well and that would be a good time to expand her space again slowly and hopefully get her properly litter trained. We might be changing the carpet to lino anyway, the carpet has already been chewed up in places from out previous bunnies!

She will be able to smell your previous rabbits and this is why she is weeing outside of the litter tray.

Todays the day!

Hazel went off this morning for her spay, I have her hutch ready for her when she gets back with the vet fleece stuff. We had to fix the door back on the hutch as we never have it on! I should be getting a phone call lunchtime or early afternoon. Apparently it will be dissolvable internal stitches so she won't have stitches to pull out, so she shouldn't need a vest, but my vets sells them if I do. Luckily it's my favourite vet, Claire, doing the spay and she is great with bunnies so she is in safe hands. Fingers crossed it goes ok :)

Hazel has tumours/growths :-(

I just got some bad news, Hazel had some tumours that have been removed with the spay but the vet is going to xray her to make sure it hasn't spread to the lungs and also she is going to send it off for testing to see if it is cancerous, I don't remember the name she said. It takes about 10 days to get the results, an agonising wait. I have fallen in love with Hazel so much already. If it is cancerous there isn't much to be done but I'm not sure if that means she carries on until she gets ill or if I would have to have her put down, I guess it will depend on what the results say. Poor little thing. I am feeling pretty fed up with the rescue for not having her done already, they had her at least a couple of months and apparently she came from a smaller rescue before they had her but they don't know her history before that or if she was born in that rescue. When my vet asked where I got her from she said she was surprised they hadn't had her spayed either, she thought all rescues did that. I am going to contact the rescue later and let them know, then maybe they will spay there other bunnies!

I just got some bad news, Hazel had some tumours that have been removed with the spay but the vet is going to xray her to make sure it hasn't spread to the lungs and also she is going to send it off for testing to see if it is cancerous, I don't remember the name she said. It takes about 10 days to get the results, an agonising wait. I have fallen in love with Hazel so much already. If it is cancerous there isn't much to be done but I'm not sure if that means she carries on until she gets ill or if I would have to have her put down, I guess it will depend on what the results say. Poor little thing. I am feeling pretty fed up with the rescue for not having her done already, they had her at least a couple of months and apparently she came from a smaller rescue before they had her but they don't know her history before that or if she was born in that rescue. When my vet asked where I got her from she said she was surprised they hadn't had her spayed either, she thought all rescues did that. I am going to contact the rescue later and let them know, then maybe they will spay there other bunnies!

Uterine Adenocarcinoma :cry:

Hopefully even if the tumours do turn out to be cancerous the disease may not have yet spread. She could well go on to lead a completely normal life. If the worst has happened then it will be a case of taking things one day at a time. Unexplained weightloss and an increased respiratory rate/effort are usually the symptoms that eventually present when the disease has metastasized. IME this occurs within 6-8 months after the spay surgery and discovery of tumours. Sending lots of 'best outcome possible' vibes xx

I agree with Jane. Even if the tumours are cancerous, it may not have spread. If this is the case and the tumours have been completely removed, then she will be able to lead a normal life.

Sending her loads of vibes and paws crossed that the updates are good.

What a worry. i hope the tests come back ok & she goes on to lead a long & happy life, something that no doubt would have eluded her i you didn't come along & offer her a forever home xx

Thankyou everyone, Hazel is at home now, she ate a bit of kale and now she's eating some grass :) Fingers crossed the results come back ok or not too bad at least! I will keep you updated when I get the results.

Hazel had her post op checkup today, the nurse said her wound is healing nicely and as she is eating and drinking well, I only need to take her back if there are any problems (and depending on the results from the tumour). I have let her have a bit more space today, the last couple of days she hasn't worried about being shut in her hutch, I have spent a lot of time with her sitting stroking her while she is in the hutch and she has made no attempt to try to get out, but today she has started to move things about and trying to get out! She was delighted when I left the hutch open. She is still restricted to a small area to make sure she doesn't overdo it, in fact right now she has decided to go back in her hutch for a rest so that was probably enough for now!

I am sorry the Vet found tumours when Hazel was spayed but hopefully she will now be clear of the cancer and be able to enjoy her life with you. Pleased she is recovering well from her spay.

Sorry to read about the tumours. I hope the results are ok, and that they haven't spread.

Sending good luck vibes and I hope she continues to recover well from her spay.:love:

Thanks for the good vibes everyone :) Hazel was being sooooo cute yesterday. My partner was lying on the floor stroking her, she decided to start licking his hair, then his forehead for ages! I put my head down to her and she did the same, even cleaning my eyebrows!!! I can't believe just how lovely she is after thinking we were taking on a demon bunny! I had read up on all this agressive behavioural information previously but don't think I will need it with her. Now to take all those good vibes and hope the results are good. The nurse said could be 5-7 days but the vet had said 10 so I would expect to here from them between tomorrow and friday.

Back