• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC Help Required Please

Sorry I meant hay, she is on Excel hay. She is eating ok. She has had carrots, grapes, hay and grass so far today. She loved her nuggets usually but not had any since she went ill which was Friday. I will try dampening them, thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, the eating does give encouragement. She is also so alert. Im here now. Working from home this afternoon so can keep an eye on her. She is a little more stable on her feet. Took a little fall before but was to see me. Got up pretty quickly after a few somersaults! Now relaxed. The head tilt is worst and at a horrible angle, looks so uncomfortable. Lets hope the meds kick in soon and straightens. I feel better today than yesterday.

It felt like 5 solid weeks but maybe my memory is exaggerating things. She was a free roam house bun til she got ill & she was in tiny enclosure (after the hamper) for several weeks. It felt longer. Her head tilt was really severe. She only had one blind eye anyway & her head was so twisted it was over 4 weeks before her head straightened enough to see her good eye. Its quite amazing what some bunnies can come back from. Keep an eye on her emotional health. My bunny always wanted to eat & this encouraged me. Members on here have had to syringe feed their EC bunnies initially

Straws not the best nutritionally. Does she like hay? Fresh grass is normally well tolerated. Whats her normal diet? I think you'll need to find a way to get her to eat more than she is. Moistened nuggets might go down ok. Help her keep her strength up - it must be exhausting for them

Hi All,
Cant believe a week ago today I had a happy loving bunny who was running around the garden playing. Then later that day she started the horrid symptoms of EC.

It is such a rollercoaster ride. So many downs then slight ups where you think you have turned a corner for then t watch something change negatively. Anna was eating great and falling occasionally but could get herself up after a few attempts. After the vets on Wednesday where she had an injection of Metacam she has gone downhill once more. Anna has had Panacur every day since last Friday and now is also on Metacam daily.

Late yesterday she fell and could not get to her feet and not been on her feet since. She is trying lots though bless her and rolling. Im changing the towels in her cage daily and giving her water via a syringe as she knocks her water over. Eating bits but not as much when she lies down. Im going home soon and hoping she had made her feet. Its so demoralising to watch. It makes me want to avoid seeing her as cant bear it. It stresses her when i take her out of the cage each day to give her the meds and water.

Trying to stay positive but its tough. Her bonded rabbit, Albus, is totally lost and doesnt understand why he is separated. Thank you everyone for the replies as it helps. Have a good Friday.

Hi All,
Cant believe a week ago today I had a happy loving bunny who was running around the garden playing. Then later that day she started the horrid symptoms of EC.

It is such a rollercoaster ride. So many downs then slight ups where you think you have turned a corner for then t watch something change negatively. Anna was eating great and falling occasionally but could get herself up after a few attempts. After the vets on Wednesday where she had an injection of Metacam she has gone downhill once more. Anna has had Panacur every day since last Friday and now is also on Metacam daily.

Late yesterday she fell and could not get to her feet and not been on her feet since. She is trying lots though bless her and rolling. Im changing the towels in her cage daily and giving her water via a syringe as she knocks her water over. Eating bits but not as much when she lies down. Im going home soon and hoping she had made her feet. Its so demoralising to watch. It makes me want to avoid seeing her as cant bear it. It stresses her when i take her out of the cage each day to give her the meds and water.

Trying to stay positive but its tough. Her bonded rabbit, Albus, is totally lost and doesnt understand why he is separated. Thank you everyone for the replies as it helps. Have a good Friday.

Lots of vibes for her & you & Albus. Its a horrible illness. One of my bunnies has EC affecting his kidneys & hindlimbs - I struggled to watch him trying to move & that's nowhere near as upsetting as rolling. Hang on in there. I'm pleased she still has fight in her.

BTW the girl bunny I keep going on about who had severe health tilt. Well she was always a very friendly rabbit but once she got over her illness she was so very affectionate - I honestly think she knew we helped her

Thank you for the message. Her legs seem fine. Its just the rolling. Ive just returned back and she is somehow on all fours just! I have left her alone as when she tries to look at me she nearly always falls over. She was eating hay also which is good.

She also had a little fit yesterday i think as she sort of kicked her legs out and went all stiff for a few seconds and wasnt with it and then returned to just normal on the floor of her cage.

That's nice to know about the affection. Anna has always licked and nibbled my hand. Albus on the other hand is grumpy but loving on his own terms. His foot thump is funny if he hears any noises he doesnt like or if you try and get him without him coming to you. Both the rabbits are house rabbits by the way and have free roam of the house. Well until now. Must be strange to Anna to be in her cage as she is not used to it. Wish i could work out how to send a picture on here of how she was. Thank you again.

Lots of vibes for her & you & Albus. Its a horrible illness. One of my bunnies has EC affecting his kidneys & hindlimbs - I struggled to watch him trying to move & that's nowhere near as upsetting as rolling. Hang on in there. I'm pleased she still has fight in her.

BTW the girl bunny I keep going on about who had severe health tilt. Well she was always a very friendly rabbit but once she got over her illness she was so very affectionate - I honestly think she knew we helped her

A photo of your bunnies would be lovely. You have to use a hosting site to upload images (I found imgur really easy)

Hi all,
Another few days have passed and Anna much the same. Eating fine and going to the toilet ok. Just spends most of the time lead on her back or side as guessing uncomfortable sat up with such a bad head tilt. We are up to 11 days now of Panacur with no signs of improving.

I’m not very hopeful to see any improvements the longer this goes on . If after 28 days she is still like this and no improvements then will have to do the right thing it saddens me to say due to no quality of life. Let’s hope for a miracle.

It does feel like a miracle when they get better. Sending more get well vibes for little Anna. I hope everyone is managing ok

This is Anna this morning after I had cleaned her cage out and put fresh towels and administered her meds. She was up when I took this but still spending most of her time lead on her side. Still eating well:

https://imgur.com/9wGqwHg

Quick question. I have been giving her Metacam as prescribed by the vets since Thursday . He did not say how long to keep giving . Should I keep using it until I have none left , ie can it be used for a while ?
Thank you.

This is Anna this morning after I had cleaned her cage out and put fresh towels and administered her meds. She was up when I took this but still spending most of her time lead on her side. Still eating well:

https://imgur.com/9wGqwHg

Quick question. I have been giving her Metacam as prescribed by the vets since Thursday . He did not say how long to keep giving . Should I keep using it until I have none left , ie can it be used for a while ?
Thank you.

aww bless. Her body looks in pretty good condition. It may not feel like it but to me it looks like she is doing ok. I honestly don't know about how long metacam should continue for, my girl was so long ago & my boy who currently has it was already prescribed it. You were happy with this vet? I'd ring them to check. My hunch is it would continue for as long as the panacur but always best to check in with the prescriber - they can also check you've enough to last

Thank you. I will phone the vets to see how long the course is as they are good.
Yes she looks ok just the falling all the time and not moving around at all. Not much of a life for her at the moment . Will keep persevering . Thank you again.

Just looking at her photo I would say there is hope for her. I have only had 4 rabbits with EC over 20+ years and going off those your bunny looks good to me. Have you been onto the Help for Headtilt Bunnies website, it's really good with lots of people with experience of EC. I think there is something else you can give to a rabbit but not sure. Good luck with her.

I can not seem to fine this website. Do you know the link please ? Thank you.
Just looking at her photo I would say there is hope for her. I have only had 4 rabbits with EC over 20+ years and going off those your bunny looks good to me. Have you been onto the Help for Headtilt Bunnies website, it's really good with lots of people with experience of EC. I think there is something else you can give to a rabbit but not sure. Good luck with her.

Back