• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with Jelly?

Alicia

Mama Doe
She was one of a trio and in the last 2 weeks she’s lost both of them :( the most recent being today. I’m not sure what to do with her right now or in the future. She’s still in the shed now, I’ve left her with a load of herbs which she was making her way through. She saw both bodies when they died and I waited until she hopped away before removing them. She’s a bit of a tricky one, she used to fight a bit with one of the others, I’ve always found her to be a bit dominant and bossy! I’m not sure what to do my heads a bit all over the place. What should I do with her tonight and then what should I do going forward please?

I have been offered a friend for Jelly but I don’t know what to do. I don’t know whether I’m rushing into it to distract me or for her

I'd leave her where she is on familiar turf as long as she is coping well, eating & pooing fine & give yourself a little time xx

If she's eating and appears to be acting normally, I would leave her in her usual accommodation. She'll possibly be a bit subdued for a few days, but no-one can really predict how a rabbit would be in these circumstances. My boy lost his bonded partner in November and I didn't get another rabbit to live with him until early March. He lives outside in a shed. I would say he was just quieter and less energetic than usual, but didn't stop eating.

You've had a nasty shock losing both bunnies within two weeks and I think if you are not certain about the new rabbit, it might be sensible to wait a little while and then depending on how Jelly is getting on, don't come to a firm decision yet.

Sending lots of hugs. I hope that Jelly gets on OK.

I just keep thinking about her out there on her own all the time. I work a lot and have other work commitments in the evenings so realistically I may spend an hour with her a day most days. I just think about during the day when she’s got no one to communicate with

I just keep thinking about her out there on her own all the time. I work a lot and have other work commitments in the evenings so realistically I may spend an hour with her a day most days. I just think about during the day when she’s got no one to communicate with

If you feel its right for her & you then go ahead. Maybe time is not what you need but would feel better doing. I do think some bunnies might need a bit of time to grieve too but they are all so different its impossible to predict. Even with a new bunny friend she might be sad & lonely for a short while - or not in the mood to meet anyone else. Like everything else rabbit related its hard to judge . I'm sure you'll make the right decision as you know her best xx

It’s so difficult because I don’t know if I want to get another rabbit for the right reasons or just to distract me from what has been a really terrible few weeks. I wish rabbits could tell you what would make them happiest :(

I think there are probably very many 'right reasons' for getting a new bunny. I don't think I would try to analyse your reasons too much. If you feel that you would like another bunny, I think almost certainly Jelly would welcome some company. Where it becomes more difficult is trying to determine which bunny she would like :)

Send lots of good wishes for whatever you decide.

I’ve decided to do it, it’s probably for selfish reasons but if for some reason they don’t get along, then I will just make adjustments and keep both so whatever the outcome I think it’s ok

I understand your dilemma having gone through it myself recently when I lost my bun. I decided to adopt another one, partly because I felt my current bun was much more of a bun's bun than a human bun and also because of the guilt I felt at leaving her alone all day. I completely understand where you're coming from, I hope it works out for you, you definitely have Jelly's best interests at heart.

I think this sounds like it was the best thing to do in the circumstances and I really wouldn't be concerned about wondering if your reasons are selfish. You are providing a good home for a needy rabbit and that can't be considered selfish in my opinion. Let us know what he/she is like and whether Jelly is pleased.

How is Jelly today btw?

I think this sounds like it was the best thing to do in the circumstances and I really wouldn't be concerned about wondering if your reasons are selfish. You are providing a good home for a needy rabbit and that can't be considered selfish in my opinion. Let us know what he/she is like and whether Jelly is pleased.

How is Jelly today btw?

I agree. Hopefully it'll be instant love. Let us know how it goes

I’ve decided to do it, it’s probably for selfish reasons but if for some reason they don’t get along, then I will just make adjustments and keep both so whatever the outcome I think it’s ok

I think you are doing the right thing - for what it's worth. I witnessed a grieving rabbit simply losing all interest in life and think she would have joined her deceased partner if a new one hadn't been found for her quickly and the bonding done slowly and carefully. Her behaviour changed completely when she was back with a 'husbun'.

I got a friend for Jelly and she wasn’t sure at first but they seem to be getting along well. I was cleaning out the dog crate and they were out in the flat and I honestly think they were looking for each other. He’s only a baby but he’s made both me and Jelly happy. He doesn’t have a name yet and I can’t remember what website to use to upload photos but when I figure it out I will

Back