• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

I'm calling back at 4, to bring him back down for another blood glucose test, so I think I'll ask for lactulose too, see what my Vet thinks about adding it, the issue is there's just no poop coming out :( she doesn't think there's an obstruction either :( so idek tbh.

Thanks Jane I always appreciate your imput x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Of course this episode could be related to his possible megacolon. Another drug that could potentially be useful is Domperidone

Page 4/5 on here http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Of course this episode could be related to his possible megacolon. Another drug that could potentially be useful is Domperidone

Page 4/5 on here http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits
Spoke to vet, bloods came back completely normal, so I guess that's something.

Taking him back soon to have blood glucose checked again, and picking up lactulose.

Thanks everyone for the support xx

That's good the bloods are ok, still sending lots of velety bun vibes your way xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Good news on blood tests, everything crossed here for your boy, really hope he picks up soon xx big hugs

Yea me too :( back at the vets rn.. I just Idk where the poop is :( it's been a very long time

Yea me too :( back at the vets rn.. I just Idk where the poop is :( it's been a very long time

How active has he been over the last 48 hours ? If you can get him hopping about without stressing him out that may help get things moving. Did the Vet mention the exact location of the 'lump' she could feel ?

Good news that the bloods are OK, his liver is obviously coping for now; his kidneys too. Trouble is with Megacolon its all to do with the innervation of the hind gut. When that goes t1ts up it can be hard to get things going again.

Another 'last chance saloon' option is an injection of a prostaglandin. This must be done on an inpatient basis though.

Also, if the motility of the cecum is the primary problem the the use of Metacam as an analgesic may not be ideal.as it inhibits the natural production of prostaglandins which are essential for cecum motility. That said, I am only speculating that it is Atticus's suspected Megacolon that is the issue. It may not be and as I always say, my opinion is 100% unqualified.

How active has he been over the last 48 hours ? If you can get him hopping about without stressing him out that may help get things moving. Did the Vet mention the exact location of the 'lump' she could feel ?

Good news that the bloods are OK, his liver is obviously coping for now; his kidneys too. Trouble is with Megacolon its all to do with the innervation of the hind gut. When that goes t1ts up it can be hard to get things going again.

Another 'last chance saloon' option is an injection of a prostaglandin. This must be done on an inpatient basis though.

Also, if the motility of the cecum is the primary problem the the use of Metacam as an analgesic may not be ideal.as it inhibits the natural production of prostaglandins which are essential for cecum motility. That said, I am only speculating that it is Atticus's suspected Megacolon that is the issue. It may not be and as I always say, my opinion is 100% unqualified.

He isn't moving at all other than to shift uncomfortably :( I might try to a bit later as he's just got back and he's gone straight in his cage to lay in his litter tray which is his safe, leave me alone space.

Yep I've felt the lump too, it's on his right side, so if you were feeling the ribs and went back towards his bum, it's just a little back from the end of his ribs slightly underneath but still on the side (sorry if that's the worst description ever [emoji51]) vet said it could be in the intestine.. If that helps you visualise? [emoji51]

So my Vet said if he hadn't passed anything by tomorrow may need to consider taking him to their other branch.. Or the place in Camden, forget its name, so we'll probably do that.. However he did just pass this.. So it's squishy and weird and not a pellet poop, and it stinks... And that's a litter pellet stuck to it (that didn't come out of him) so maybe he'll finally start passing something? I hope so more than anything :'( he looks so terrible :'(
00796afcf80ee618ccd0f5abc31ec4b3.jpg
a71182d45a299e642f6d10197ed23244.jpg

I’m glad his bloods have come back ok and at least he has passed something. Poor boy, he does look very uncomfortable :cry:

Sending more and more vibes and hugs xx

I’m glad his bloods have come back ok and at least he has passed something. Poor boy, he does look very uncomfortable :cry:

Sending more and more vibes and hugs xx

Thanks Zoobec xx

Yea he really doesn't look great, we are upping the tramadol to 3 times a day, I hope that helps him :(

Aww poor little mite [emoji17]

Well he has at least passed something. Fingers crossed that if the lump is an impaction it's starting to break up and pass through. I'm sure he'll feel so much better once things are moving properly again.

Is it the Beaumont you might be going to tomorrow? If so, I've been there quite a few times with my buns. They are very thorough and will do everything they can to get to the bottom of this.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

He isn't moving at all other than to shift uncomfortably :( I might try to a bit later as he's just got back and he's gone straight in his cage to lay in his litter tray which is his safe, leave me alone space.

Yep I've felt the lump too, it's on his right side, so if you were feeling the ribs and went back towards his bum, it's just a little back from the end of his ribs slightly underneath but still on the side (sorry if that's the worst description ever [emoji51]) vet said it could be in the intestine.. If that helps you visualise? [emoji51]

So my Vet said if he hadn't passed anything by tomorrow may need to consider taking him to their other branch.. Or the place in Camden, forget its name, so we'll probably do that.. However he did just pass this.. So it's squishy and weird and not a pellet poop, and it stinks... And that's a litter pellet stuck to it (that didn't come out of him) so maybe he'll finally start passing something? I hope so more than anything :'( he looks so terrible :'(
00796afcf80ee618ccd0f5abc31ec4b3.jpg
a71182d45a299e642f6d10197ed23244.jpg

Poor chap :cry: The place in Camden is the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital, excellent place. My Vets consult with the alot

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-vet/general-practice

I really hope he will have some more output soon, even if what comes out is far from normal.

I am wondering if the 'lump' is an enlarged Kidney :? However, I assume the Vet would have been able to rule that out on examination.

ETA- another thought, he doesn't eat the litter in his tray does he ?

Aww poor little mite [emoji17]

Well he has at least passed something. Fingers crossed that if the lump is an impaction it's starting to break up and pass through. I'm sure he'll feel so much better once things are moving properly again.

Is it the Beaumont you might be going to tomorrow? If so, I've been there quite a few times with my buns. They are very thorough and will do everything they can to get to the bottom of this.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Yes that's the place! My Vet said they're very expensive but good? Did you find that the case? [emoji38]

I hope it doesn't come to that tbh, not sure what Atticus will think of the tube [emoji38]

Had a bit of a mishap with his ear catheter, I had to trim it down, and added some more tape. I tested it still works, no leaks so I think we got away with it this time [emoji849] now he looks even sillier [emoji38]
85b18360d41e65f6064b401c18acf131.jpg

Poor chap :cry: The place in Camden is the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital, excellent place. My Vets consult with the alot

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-vet/general-practice

I really hope he will have some more output soon, even if what comes out is far from normal.

I am wondering if the 'lump' is an enlarged Kidney :? However, I assume the Vet would have been able to rule that out on examination.

ETA- another thought, he doesn't eat the litter in his tray does he ?

Yea I'll take anything coming out of him rn.

I mean I wouldn't know...? But kidney function was normal on the blood test?but I guess there could still be a lump on it? Idk. Its a clear lump, easy to feel.

Not normally, never.. But who knows..maybe he felt unwell and pulled an Apricot and decided to eat them. They're compressed paper.

Sending more vibes for poorly Atticus. He really does look bad bless him. Let's hope he pulls through. xx

Back