• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

There's no exotic vets to call :( pointless calling the other one tbqh. Unless I need them to pts obviously.

Its ridiculous he just ate some mint.. But like also just looks so terrible :'( idek.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Do your usual exotic vets have an out of hours phone number to call? Or can you call the place they were going to be referred to if he hadn’t pooped today?

I’m glad he felt like eating the mint :love:

Maybe I should've taken him to that place anyway, it's just he started popping.. And they kept on coming.. And he nibbled some herbs... His temperature was good, he jumped onto my leg.. He was a little better if anything.. So I just thought why stress him out if he was improving.. But maybe that was wrong :'( feel like I've really let him down

I get how you're feeling, I've been questioning myself all week since we lost Snow - what if I'd taken her to the vet slightly earlier, what if I'd given her some of the lactulose I had in the cupboard...but ultimately they are fragile little creatures and sometimes despite our best efforts, it's all just too much for their little bodies. You've given Atticus the best care and he's still alive because of you. I'm crossing everything for you that he can pull through xxx

I'm really sorry to read your update [emoji17] I agree with Zoobec: you can only make decisions based on how he seems at any given time. In all honesty, if I'd been in your position I wouldn't have taken him all the way to Camden as he'd been showing positive signs of improvement. You had no way of knowing he'd take a turn for the worst and you can't preempt something if you don't know it's going to happen.

I think you're right to stop the syringe feeds for now given his belly is distended. Not sure what to suggest about the vet. I've attached the link for the Beaumont emergency service. Unfortunately their OOH service is all the way over in Belsize park but there is a contact number at the bottom of the page. Someone might be able to advise on whether you'll need to take him to the OOH vet or whether you can wait until you can see your trusted vet in the morning.

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-vet/general-practice/practice-services/emergency-vet

I'm really hoping he can turn the corner. Sunday night really is the worst time for this to happen [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I get how you're feeling, I've been questioning myself all week since we lost Snow - what if I'd taken her to the vet slightly earlier, what if I'd given her some of the lactulose I had in the cupboard...but ultimately they are fragile little creatures and sometimes despite our best efforts, it's all just too much for their little bodies. You've given Atticus the best care and he's still alive because of you. I'm crossing everything for you that he can pull through xxx

Thank you, yea you're right I think we all question stuff, but it's impossible to know the outcome, I am really sorry about Snowy :'( I think you made the right call for her, she was so lucky to have you looking after her xxx

I'm really sorry to read your update [emoji17] I agree with Zoobec: you can only make decisions based on how he seems at any given time. In all honesty, if I'd been in your position I wouldn't have taken him all the way to Camden as he'd been showing positive signs of improvement. You had no way of knowing he'd take a turn for the worst and you can't preempt something if you don't know it's going to happen.

I think you're right to stop the syringe feeds for now given his belly is distended. Not sure what to suggest about the vet. I've attached the link for the Beaumont emergency service. Unfortunately their OOH service is all the way over in Belsize park but there is a contact number at the bottom of the page. Someone might be able to advise on whether you'll need to take him to the OOH vet or whether you can wait until you can see your trusted vet in the morning.

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-vet/general-practice/practice-services/emergency-vet

I'm really hoping he can turn the corner. Sunday night really is the worst time for this to happen [emoji17]

Yea, my Vet said if no poop you have to go, but if there's poop that's really good and see how he goes.. And there's been poop.. And nibbling :( and he perked up.. He's just done two poops just now.. But Idk :(

He's due some meds in 15 mins, then I think I'll call them, thanks for the link xx

Just had a look, I could get to there or potters bar tbh, potters bar one is where I took my dog actually. But again.. There's poop.. Idk what to do for the best..

Last edited:
Gave him meds at 11.30 and more fluids, afterwards he jumped straight on top of my lap and ate all the leaves off 7 stalks of basil.. Basically a whole bag.. But then he stopped and sat on my knee for well till now so 40 mins in total.. I just kept petting him, and he laid or sat on me and stood up against me a few times... Idk why he's being like that.. But he also seemed really spaced out at times.. I'm wondering if it's the tramadol, he had a bad reaction to the vetergesic...

He's being weirdly clingy with me, wants to be held or at least on me somewhere and to be petted.. Its worrying because Atticus isn't that affectionate normally.. Like he's friendly and likes strokes on his terms.. But he seems scared rn and like he doesn't want me to leave him :(

Gosh it's such a difficult dilemma [emoji17]

First off I'd rule out your local OOH for now. If they're not going to be much use then it would just be a wasted trip and won't be of any real benefit to Atticus.

Tramadol is an opioid so could explain why he's spaced out.

It's so difficult because you're getting so many mixed signals. His belly's distended and he's looking pretty rough yet he's passing poops and just demolished a bag of herbs.

I'm tempted to say ring the Beaumont emergency number and explain all of the above. See if they think it's better to take him over there tonight, even though it'll be a longer journey and he's very poorly, or keep him warm and hydrated tonight and take him to your local vet in the morning.

Tramadol can cause some Rabbits to become 'spaced', disorientated and 'nervy'. Not all, some are fine on it.

How is he doing now ?

Weird question- is there any indication that he has lost his eyesight ?

Another weird question, did the Rabbit Savvy Vet check his heart ? Rexes are prone to heart disease and this can initially present with gut stasis, inability to maintain body temperature and behavioural changes/lethargy.

Sorry I didn't update earlier, I had no idea what was going to happen for a long time :(

He's still alive, he spent the day at the vets, we've stopped the tramadol, upped the Metacam to 2ml twice a day..

Surgery is basically death.. So we are just gunna try more to get it to pass :(

Idk how long for, taking it day by day.. Well hour by hour tbh.

He's not in great shape, he only passed two poops at the vets, which was basically all day :(

He also needs fluids every hour, 24 hours a day, so that'll be tricky [emoji21]

Also back to syringe feeding every 4 hours

So yea it's bleak, but just gotta hope he can do it.

Oh Gracie you must be exhausted :cry: he really is lucky to have you and I am crossing everything for you that he pulls through...he’s certainly a fighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gracie,
He has been determined enough to keep trying by eating greens and hopping on your lap.
How are you giving fluids? IMO oral works better for rehydrating gut, yet sub q is an option to supplement oral fluids if the bunny can absorbe .Jane would know for sure, but I heard bunnys other systems will dehydrate gut contents so other systems stay hydrated.
We are all supporting you and your boy.

Oh graciee, I'm so sorry [emoji17] I've been thinking of you and Atticus all day and hoping for an improvement from last night.

I'm really hoping he can get through this xx

Back