• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

I've been checking this thread all day for news, as I'm sure lots of us have been. This sounds in some way positive. Yay for new vet.

Who is the new exotics vet? I'm always nosey to hear about good vets. :D

When Rudeys poops were pitiful but he'd started eating dual care by the trough load I googled how long it takes food to complete a bunnies digestive tract & I'm sure it said 19 hours. If that's true, plus his gut being slow through his illness its maybe almost normal given the circumstance.

I am sooooooooo pleased this vet is on the ball & just as pleased your regime of feeding has been reduced for your sake xx

I'm so worried about him, he just doesn't seem right, but the vet just said give him time :( Idk though, something in his behaviour doesn't seem right, he's different here compared with at the vets.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

When Rudeys poops were pitiful but he'd started eating dual care by the trough load I googled how long it takes food to complete a bunnies digestive tract & I'm sure it said 19 hours. If that's true, plus his gut being slow through his illness its maybe almost normal given the circumstance.

I am sooooooooo pleased this vet is on the ball & just as pleased your regime of feeding has been reduced for your sake xx
Really? Oh that makes me feel so much better :'( maybe I can't trust myself rn, like maybe I'm over reacting.. Its just something feels wrong :( very said he's not bloated but he looks bigger to me, feel like I'm going mad :(

Really? Oh that makes me feel so much better :'( maybe I can't trust myself rn, like maybe I'm over reacting.. Its just something feels wrong :( very said he's not bloated but he looks bigger to me, feel like I'm going mad :(

Is it all the fluids perhaps? Toby used to look huge and I asked and they said it is all the water?

Your new vet sounds great and it does sound postive. We are sending pooping vibes. You must be exhausted :( xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Is it all the fluids perhaps? Toby used to look huge and I asked and they said it is all the water?

Your new vet sounds great and it does sound postive. We are sending pooping vibes. You must be exhausted :( xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Maybe! Idk honestly I feel like a crazy person :( a min ago he was flopped and didn't react to me rubbing his stomach like a dog... Normal Atticus would've taken my hand off...

I still prefer my normal vet tbh [emoji38] I just trust her judgement so much. Thanks xx

That vet sounds great, really hope that Atticus starts to poop soon, all the indications sounds good. You sound exhausted, everything seems worse when you are so tired, try and get some sleep tonight, don't doubt yourself, you are doing a wonderful job with Atticus, and I'm sure he knows that xxx

Sending lots more vibes and hugs, I hope that there’s poop soon.

Thanks Zoobec xxx

That vet sounds great, really hope that Atticus starts to poop soon, all the indications sounds good. You sound exhausted, everything seems worse when you are so tired, try and get some sleep tonight, don't doubt yourself, you are doing a wonderful job with Atticus, and I'm sure he knows that xxx

Yea I am tbh, last night was rough, but I find it really hard to sleep when I know one of the buns isn't okay, so Idk how well I'll be able to sleep tonight anyway. I just really wish he'd start pooping [emoji21] thank you xxx

atticus/gitract stasis/recovery

I don't think he likes the new design... [emoji51]
2e51c980a1ebe7756f5d6e12470ee63d.jpg

dear graciee,thank you for the picture:love:-your first post was distressful,atticus :love:appears wonderful in the picture,and I read your post today,-looks like your persistence has paid off handsomely,..never give up-[my moto]-atticus-- looks like my old bun[gray:love:]-from velvatine:love:/mother-looks like your clementine:love:--absolutely adorable,brings a tear to my old eyes.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

It made me smile to read he was eating hay and acting less ill at the vets. While I would be thrilled he improved so much,I know the frustration when they come home and seem worse. I offer possible, adrenaline so feel better for a while, fear so hiding discomfort , or the trip to vets helped gas to escape so they feel better until it returns. Raven was pulling at his towel in the carrier and active, Dash would eat some greens, same for other bunnies.
You are the best mom Aticus could have.
Gut sounds, eating hay,good signs.
Get rest.

I am hoping that Atticus's output will have improved overnight. It can take several days for things to return to anywhere near normal after a severe bout of gut stasis.

Sorry forget to put meds

Loxicom
Lactulose
Emeprid
Cisapride

The only thing I will mention is the possibility of adding Ranitidine (Zantac) to his meds. This drug has a dual action in that it not only promotes hind gut motility but it also protects the GI tract from ulceration. GI tract ulceration is a possible side effect of Metacam when given at high doses and/or for a long time to a Rabbit with a poor appetite.

Sending lots more vibes xx

I am hoping that Atticus's output will have improved overnight. It can take several days for things to return to anywhere near normal after a severe bout of gut stasis.

The only thing I will mention is the possibility of adding Ranitidine (Zantac) to his meds. This drug has a dual action in that it not only promotes hind gut motility but it also protects the GI tract from ulceration. GI tract ulceration is a possible side effect of Metacam when given at high doses and/or for a long time to a Rabbit with a poor appetite.

Sending lots more vibes xx
Yea my vets don't have it though because it was taken off the market :( otherwise he'd be on it.

So he's passed this.

Sorry for grim image, it's covered in a thick mucus
dc920029369696ad5f1a3a3231dbdb65.jpg
ee0da38418b6644cf827e88ef2f7d916.jpg

Yea my vets don't have it though because it was taken off the market :( otherwise he'd be on it.

So he's passed this.

Sorry for grim image, it's covered in a thick mucus
dc920029369696ad5f1a3a3231dbdb65.jpg
ee0da38418b6644cf827e88ef2f7d916.jpg

Ranitidine is back now so you could ask for a prescription and obtain it from a Pharmacy

After gut stasis mucus in/around the faeces is not unusual. It is due to the fact that the gut lining is likely to be inflamed. The faeces are also likely to be odd shapes and sizes, some may be very dry or very soft. At least he has passed a tiny amount, so maybe the impaction is staring to break down. Lactulose can take 2-3 days to give full benefit and fluid therapy is essential, so it's good he is having that.

Ranitidine is back now so you could ask for a prescription and obtain it from a Pharmacy

After gut stasis mucus in/around the faeces is not unusual. It is due to the fact that the gut lining is likely to be inflamed. The faeces are also likely to be odd shapes and sizes, some may be very dry or very soft. At least he has passed a tiny amount, so maybe the impaction is staring to break down. Lactulose can take 2-3 days to give full benefit and fluid therapy is essential, so it's good he is having that.
Yea I guess what worries me is we went from, no poop - 24 hours later poops for a day, then only a few three next day, then 3 in the entire day then over 24hours without any to this point.... [emoji21] It's so up and down..

So pharmacies have the liquid now? I might do that :)

Yea I guess what worries me is we went from, no poop - 24 hours later poops for a day, then only a few three next day, then 3 in the entire day then over 24hours without any to this point.... [emoji21] It's so up and down..

So pharmacies have the liquid now?
I might do that :)

Yep, they should do.

The pattern of poo output you are seeing is a symptom of Megacolon, his pre-existing gut problems are probably why this episode of stasis has been so bad. Dont give up hope though, it is possible for him to get back to what is his 'normal' gut motility.

Yep, they should do.

The pattern of poo output you are seeing is a symptom of Megacolon, his pre-existing gut problems are probably why this episode of stasis has been so bad. Dont give up hope though, it is possible for him to get back to what is his 'normal' gut motility.
I really really hope so x

Oh is this normal? He seems to put his back legs out when I do fluids? I wrap him in the towel then he just lays down about half way through and puts his back legs out :S he can't be relaxed...
df5302ecccb263f2b0691d7b532bac89.jpg

I’m glad he passed some poop. Topping up the vibes and hugs again. I don’t know about the legs position I’m afraid

His guts are moving again so yeah. His food intake varied over time so output will too. Hoping this poo has friends.
My bunny possed mucus with poo with stasis, he evan passed one encased in firm geletin, so your bunnys output not unusual
to me.
well done.

Back