Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Atticus, gut stasis

Default Atticus, gut stasis

So he has still not eaten anything and looks terrible, he has had medication.. Idk if I should syringe feed or not tbh

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh noooo How are things now? I used to always syringe fluids (including peppermint tea), rather than food, to restart the guts (after meds, obviously). I remember one time hearing this almighty gurgle after syringing water, then the gut began to work.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    Oh noooo How are things now? I used to always syringe fluids (including peppermint tea), rather than food, to restart the guts (after meds, obviously). I remember one time hearing this almighty gurgle after syringing water, then the gut began to work.
    The same tbh he looks so sad and won't eat anything

Hah yea last time with Apricot her gut started making crazy loud sounds, never heard bun gut sounds so audibly before

Starting to think I shouldn't have buns tho, Clementine got stasis on Monday.. Now Atticus today.. Feel like it's gotta be something I've done

I’m sure it’s nothing you have done, or not done. Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

any poos?

My two bunnies went in and out of stasis. Turned out to be EC related.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs
    Bruno hamster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    any poos?

My two bunnies went in and out of stasis. Turned out to be EC related.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
    Nope, none not had any all day :/

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Oh graciee I'm so sorry It really won't be anything you've done. It's just sod's law that they've gotten sick so close together. Having said that, it is hard not to doubt yourself when it happens. One evening Fudgie had one of her gas episodes, which thankfully resolved quickly. Woke up the next morning to find Snoopy in stasis. That made me question my abilities as a bunny carer.

Not sure what to suggest re the syringe feeding. Once my buns have been checked by the vet and I've been given the go ahead to do so, I normally do a syringe feed as soon as we get home, then continuously every three to four hours until they start eating for themselves. I understand from your other thread that Atticus' blood glucose was 16.5, which I believe is just above the normal range but not high enough to suggest a blockage. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure you're loathe to trust the vet you saw earlier, but did they say it's ok to syringe feed?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Oh graciee I'm so sorry It really won't be anything you've done. It's just sod's law that they've gotten sick so close together. Having said that, it is hard not to doubt yourself when it happens. One evening Fudgie had one of her gas episodes, which thankfully resolved quickly. Woke up the next morning to find Snoopy in stasis. That made me question my abilities as a bunny carer.

Not sure what to suggest re the syringe feeding. Once my buns have been checked by the vet and I've been given the go ahead to do so, I normally do a syringe feed as soon as we get home, then continuously every three to four hours until they start eating for themselves. I understand from your other thread that Atticus' blood glucose was 16.5, which I believe is just above the normal range but not high enough to suggest a blockage. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure you're loathe to trust the vet you saw earlier, but did they say it's ok to syringe feed?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this, I just gave him 10 ml of syringed dualcare so we'll see I guess

Yea I don't think 16.5 suggests a blockage, but obviously it's high and not great, I think nearing 20 + is emergency surgery level..

The vet did say to critical care but I don't really feel he ruled out a blockage either.. If I'd been at my normal vets they'd have felt him and xrayed too as well as blood glucose, this vet didn't even feel his belly.. Atticus has a messy bum atm which is unfortunately quite common for him, and the vet said he wasn't pooping because he had poop on his tail... Which makes no sense (just to be clear the area the poop comes out from is clean from poop, he's just sat in some of his unformed splats and they're on his tail, from yesterday I'm guessing) so I don't really trust anything that vet said.. Feel so lost as I can't find a decent vet to take him to

Other problem I have is, he seems in pain, but he had a Metacam injection normally my Vet would say to give the oral one 12 hours later, but vet tonight said 24hours...

Just given him another 10ml of food, his ears are cold, still won't eat anything, no poops, so this will be getting on to none for 24 hours now