• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

There may be something out there that's not terrible...! Ivone is on today... That like never happens and I have an appointment with her :D

Situation is still dire, but I'll be able to get an xray :D and the person looking at it will know what they're looking at!

Less good, I just threw up my breakfast :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sending you and Atticus all the vibes, hope the vet appointment goes well and that he makes a swift recovery!

Okay so blood glucose is now 9.6... Had xray there's poop in there.. But no gas.. He's not bloated.. But my vet found a lump :'(

We are hoping it's poop.. But if not operation on Monday.

He's on tramadol too now, and she's adjusted the emeprid dosage to 1.5ml 3x a day.

My vets not sure why he's not eating or pooping though.. Just hoping it's not a tumour :'(

Giving him fluids every hour too now. And syringe feeding every 4.

Not sure how I feel really tbh.

Only Just got home too because when I was driving back loads of steam or smoke came out of my bonnet and had to pull over, had no coolant, so I had to walk to a shop and get some bottled water to fill it up with [emoji21] the fun never stops here..

I would imagine it's just poop Gracie try to think postive. I am glad he managed to see someone and I hope that he starts to improve now. Sending lots of hugs and vibes xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hopefully the 'lump' is impacted faeces. The fluid therapy should help rehydrate it and it should start to break up and move through. Sending lots more vibes for him and sorry about your car. Trouble never comes in small amounts des it :cry:

I'm sorry Graciee, you're having a rotten time atm. Sending loads more vibes for Atticus. It sounds very feasible that the 'lump' is impacted faeces and I hope that the fluids help with that.

Thanks everyone, I really hope it's just poop, my Vet doesn't seem sure, said we wouldn't know til we operate unless he obviously gets better before hand.

He had a blood test today too, my vets going to call me with the results today

I really hope he starts to improve soon. You really are having a bad time at the moment:cry:

Hugs and vibes xx

I really hope he starts to improve soon. You really are having a bad time at the moment:cry:

Hugs and vibes xx
I know, I keep thinking "well it can't get any worse..." but then it seems to, at this point it's so ridiculous it's funny [emoji38] if I wasn't laughing I'd be crying I think.

Atticus looks so uncomfortable :( he gets up and shifts about every minute :(

I know, I keep thinking "well it can't get any worse..." but then it seems to, at this point it's so ridiculous it's funny [emoji38] if I wasn't laughing I'd be crying I think.

Atticus looks so uncomfortable :( he gets up and shifts about every minute :(

Yet again there are differences of opinion amongst Vets as to whether Lactulose can be given to Rabbits. Lactulose is an osmotic laxative and it works by drawing fluid into the bowel. It is not like giving Liquid Paraffin which just coats the impacted matter with oil, thus making it impossible for water to reach the impaction. When given alongside aggressive fluid therapy Lactulose can be very beneficial in rehydrating impacted matter. I have had 2 Rabbits who had cecal impactions and I am 100% convinced that Lactulose & IV fluids played a big part in saving their lives. Although some Rabbit Savvy Vets now say Lactulose can risk causing dysbiosis I would still want to use it having seen the real benefits doing so had. Perhaps you could ask the Vet their thoughts on this.

Personally I would see surgery as the very last resort, if I were going to risk that I'd want to give adding Lactulose a go first. When in the last chance saloon what is there to lose ?? Just my unqualified opinion x

Yet again there are differences of opinion amongst Vets as to whether Lactulose can be given to Rabbits. Lactulose is an osmotic laxative and it works by drawing fluid into the bowel. It is not like giving Liquid Paraffin which just coats the impacted matter with oil, thus making it impossible for water to reach the impaction. When given alongside aggressive fluid therapy Lactulose can be very beneficial in rehydrating impacted matter. I have had 2 Rabbits who had cecal impactions and I am 100% convinced that Lactulose & IV fluids played a big part in saving their lives. Although some Rabbit Savvy Vets now say Lactulose can risk causing dysbiosis I would still want to use it having seen the real benefits doing so had. Perhaps you could ask the Vet their thoughts on this.

Personally I would see surgery as the very last resort, if I were going to risk that I'd want to give adding Lactulose a go first. When in the last chance saloon what is there to lose ?? Just my unqualified opinion x

I'm calling back at 4, to bring him back down for another blood glucose test, so I think I'll ask for lactulose too, see what my Vet thinks about adding it, the issue is there's just no poop coming out :( she doesn't think there's an obstruction either :( so idek tbh.

Thanks Jane I always appreciate your imput x

I do hope he starts to improve.
Good advice/opinion/suggestion from JJ.
You really are going through the mill. :( X

ETA Took me so long to send my post that you have already seen and replied to Jane.

Back