• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

I always do as I think it makes it more palatable, and also warm water is good and gentle on human tummies so presumably so for bunnies too. Won’t do any harm to have it cold, though.
Ah I see! So how do I do it warm? Coz it says not to use hot or boiling water because it'll destroy some of the stuff in it? But I don't wanna use hot tap water I'm guessing because that comes from a tank? I could let the boiled water cool a lot I guess :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Ah I see! So how do I do it warm? Coz it says not to use hot or boiling water because it'll destroy some of the stuff in it? But I don't wanna use hot tap water I'm guessing because that comes from a tank? I could let the boiled water cool a lot I guess :)

I never use warm hot/ water as doing so does kill off the probiotics in it and kinda defeats the object of giving it. That said, the acidic environment of a Rabbit's stomach is likely to do the same thing so whether the probiotics ever get to where they are needed (the cecum) is debatable. IMO the important thing is to get some fibre and fluids in, probiotic use is yet another one of those areas of debate as far as Rabbits are concerned.

This was what I was thinking xx
Is stinky poops after not going for a while, not normal then? :( Clementines are always a bit stinky after.. But Atticus smells normally when he's unwell, I'll definitely get it checked although no poop now :(

Is stinky poops after not going for a while, not normal then? :( Clementines are always a bit stinky after.. But Atticus smells normally when he's unwell, I'll definitely get it checked although no poop now :(

To be honest I’ve not experienced coccidiosis in a rabbit, only in a goat, so I’m not qualified to give advice on coccidiosis in a rabbit .......
uneaten caecotrophes and misshapen poops are normal post stasis although I’ve never experienced them smelling particularly, when you said he smelt that was what made me wonder about possibility of coccidiosis.
I’ve also not had experience of mega colon buns though ........

Poo does smell a lot after stasis. But the smell of poo from a Rabbit with a heavy coccidia load is unmistakable. It is as I said, a Farmyard/silage like smell.

Poo does smell a lot after stasis. But the smell of poo from a Rabbit with a heavy coccidia load is unmistakable. It is as I said, a Farmyard/silage like smell.
Need someone to test whiff it for me [emoji38] it smells really terrible to me, but I'm weird with smells I wouldn't say it's a silage smell.. I'll ask my boyfriend what he thinks. I'm gunna get a sample tested anyway though.

I just use warm water, it isn’t hot or anything - just warm enough that it’s more palatable. I imagine if I was being syringe fed that I would much prefer it than cold. As I said you can use cold as you are doing, but I’ve always done it warm for many years (as in, I’ve never done it cold) and it still works just fine :)

I don't think he likes the new design... [emoji51]
2e51c980a1ebe7756f5d6e12470ee63d.jpg

I'm not sure what to do :(

Either take him this evening to be pts or see it we can make it til the morning and try get emergency appointments with my Vet :'(

I'm gunna stop the feeds, his belly looks distended to me just gunna do the fluids and meds.. But Idk anymore, he's gone down hill in the last few hours :'(

Oh no :cry: I’m so sorry. I really hope he can pull through. Sending all the vibes I can muster and lots of hugs xx

Oh no :cry: I’m so sorry. I really hope he can pull through. Sending all the vibes I can muster and lots of hugs xx
Maybe I should've taken him to that place anyway, it's just he started popping.. And they kept on coming.. And he nibbled some herbs... His temperature was good, he jumped onto my leg.. He was a little better if anything.. So I just thought why stress him out if he was improving.. But maybe that was wrong :'( feel like I've really let him down

Maybe I should've taken him to that place anyway, it's just he started popping.. And they kept on coming.. And he nibbled some herbs... His temperature was good, he jumped onto my leg.. He was a little better if anything.. So I just thought why stress him out if he was improving.. But maybe that was wrong :'( feel like I've really let him down

You shouldn’t blame yourself. You’ve done the best you can for him and made decisions based on how he was. That’s all anyone can do. That’s what your vet advised too. He did look like he was improving from the photos earlier. Whatever happens you did all you could. I don’t know what to advise really but if his stomach is distended I would definitely stop syringe feeding. Maybe ring the vets for advice?

You shouldn’t blame yourself. You’ve done the best you can for him and made decisions based on how he was. That’s all anyone can do. That’s what your vet advised too. He did look like he was improving from the photos earlier. Whatever happens you did all you could. I don’t know what to advise really but if his stomach is distended I would definitely stop syringe feeding. Maybe ring the vets for advice?
There's no exotic vets to call :( pointless calling the other one tbqh. Unless I need them to pts obviously.

Its ridiculous he just ate some mint.. But like also just looks so terrible :'( idek.

Back