• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dennis investigations

loobers25

Warren Veteran
So we saw uncle John today to get his eyes checked as they are starting to get worse. He's got to be admitted to Anton Monday night where he is going to have a CT scan and investigations as John suspects elongated roots.

Jane please

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

So we saw uncle John today to get his eyes checked as they are starting to get worse. He's got to be admitted to Anton Monday night where he is going to have a CT scan and investigations as John suspects elongated roots.

Jane please

Blimey, as Dennis is being cared for by Uncle John I doubt I can be of any help !! If tooth root elongation is an issue, whilst it cannot be cured it can be managed. This may include regular dentals to make sure the crowns of the teeth are kept to the correct level with optimum occlusion. If it is the Incisor roots causing problems the depending on severity Incisor removal is an option. Going forward daily pain relief may become necessary as elongated tooth roots can be painful. Also, a Rabbit with elongated tooth roots may be more prone to tooth root abscesses, although this is certainly not inevitable.

Treating any eye problems associated with tooth root elongation may also become a daily issue- ie bathing the eyes, applying a barrier ointment around the area where the tears run (to prevent the skin becoming sore) and treating any secondary infection should it occur.

I am 100% certain that Uncle John will manage Dennis's issues brilliantly and you can be confident that he is receiving A* Veterinary care x

Last edited:
Sending Dennis lots and lots of healing vibes. John is awesome - I wish I lived nearer so he could be my regular vet.

I don’t have any advice but John discovered Phillip’s teeth roots and has been absolutely brilliant with advice and treatment. Sending lots of love for Dennis x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jane. Dennis doesn't have any eye inflammation or any spurs which Is why he is thinking that. He said whilst he is under the GA he I'd going to put some dye in his eye to rule out blocked tear duct and double check molar teeth for sneaky spurs.

I am a bit worried about GA, overnight stay etc though

Thanks everybun whatever is going on i hope we will catch it early. He's a very happy lad and has a huge appetite.

I hope that Dennis and Maple sleep well tonight at Uncle John's and that all goes well tomorrow. I will be thinking of you all.

Thank you every bun, I decided to go for a CT scan of his head and an xray of his body. I want a full body xray to check his athritis and hopefully find nothing else. Buns are at Uncle John's for the evening.

Thank you every bun, I decided to go for a CT scan of his head and an xray of his body. I want a full body xray to check his athritis and hopefully find nothing else. Buns are at Uncle John's for the evening.

dear loobers25,--on the surface this sounds fantastic,--I trust the dvm,s dicussed all this with you.??-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Back