• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snowy isn’t doing well

nap91

Mama Doe
Went to bed last night to find her flopped (in her uncomfortable way) and not eating. Did all the usual medicines and syringed her some baby food as this is usually enough to sort her out. I woke up in the early hours to check but still no improvement. Repeated all the medicine and syringe fed before work. Rang the vets but no appointments available til 3pm. Didn’t want to leave her at home so I’ve brought her to work with me. (My school are very good like that and the children in my class are being very respectful of her).

No change though. I hope she’s going to be ok :(

Here she is having a little wander around my classroom

9d950c84d4d9644f4ee4fc9970e8bdab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sending loads of vibes for Snowy. I hope the vet visit goes well for her and that she soon feels better.

She’s not improved at all over the morning. Vets agreed to see her earlier so husband just rushed her in. I couldn’t bare to lose her :cry:

Oh no poor Snowy [emoji17] I'm glad you managed to get an earlier appointment. I really hope they can figure out what's wrong and that she'll be on the mend soon xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

She’s on fluids and has been admitted til 6.30 :cry: They said she was very dehydrated.

I know she’s in the best place but the vet couldn’t say what the outcome will be :cry:

She’s on fluids and has been admitted til 6.30 :cry: They said she was very dehydrated.

I know she’s in the best place but the vet couldn’t say what the outcome will be :cry:

Well fluids are usually extremely beneficial in cases of gut stasis. Did the Vet check Snowy's blood glucose ?

Well fluids are usually extremely beneficial in cases of gut stasis. Did the Vet check Snowy's blood glucose ?

Not sure as only managed a quick call due to work. Just rang the vets for an update and she’s no worse but still cold. She’s taken 20ml of recovery food. I hope she’ll be ok :(

Thanks for the messages everyone.

I don't know if this helps at all, but quite a while back I had to take Fudgie to the emergency vet as she was going into gut stasis. They gave her metaclop and pain relief, and I syringe fed her during the night. She was getting worse rather than better so I took her back early the next morning. On the second examination there were no gut sounds, despite the gut stimulant and syringe feeds, and her temperature had dropped significantly. I was convinced she wasn't going to recover.

They kept her in all day and overnight and after several hours in an incubator they managed to get her temperature back up and kick started her gut. She went on to make a full, albeit slow, recovery.

I just thought I'd tell you that to give you hope that it can be turned round, although I know it's impossible not to worry when they have to be admitted. I would also be encouraged by the fact she's taking the syringe feeds well.

Sending lots of vibes for Snowy, I hope you get a more positive update from the vet this evening.xx

Just picked her up. She’s not great. Still not eating and I have to syringe her every 2 hours throughout the night then take her back tomorrow if no improvement [emoji20]

900e88597579c8ec0612f17b6eaf8f08.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps at all, but quite a while back I had to take Fudgie to the emergency vet as she was going into gut stasis. They gave her metaclop and pain relief, and I syringe fed her during the night. She was getting worse rather than better so I took her back early the next morning. On the second examination there were no gut sounds, despite the gut stimulant and syringe feeds, and her temperature had dropped significantly. I was convinced she wasn't going to recover.

They kept her in all day and overnight and after several hours in an incubator they managed to get her temperature back up and kick started her gut. She went on to make a full, albeit slow, recovery.

I just thought I'd tell you that to give you hope that it can be turned round, although I know it's impossible not to worry when they have to be admitted. I would also be encouraged by the fact she's taking the syringe feeds well.

Sending lots of vibes for Snowy, I hope you get a more positive update from the vet this evening.xx

Thank you. That sounds very similar to Snowy. She’s just looks so weak and ill, more than usual and she’s not resisting anything just sitting so still. I’m so worried I’m going to lose her :cry:

Back