• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get a 2nd bunny??

Hello! I know this is the second day in a row I've posted, but since I found this website I just keep thinking of questions!

Ok, so I'm wondering if I should get Kiwi a friend. He is 5 months old and not yet neutered, so obviously I would wait till he is neutered and calm, but once that happens, would it be the right move? I would have to convince my parents to let me and it would be a big commitment, double the cost, space, time, attention! Also, I would have to bond them, which I don't know how to do. But, I've been told it will make him more happy, and that's my goal. And I don't even know how I'm going to convince my parents!!
What should I do??

PS: if I were to get a second bunny, should I get another holland lop, or a different breed, and should she have to be of similar age to Kiwi?

Pps

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm only 12 years old! Will I be able to care for 2 bunnies? So far, I think I'm doing ok with Kiwi, and he is my whole life, but I'm a busy girl and I have figure skating 6 1/2 hours a week and cheerleading 3 hours a week, also school and home work. will I be able to give the bunnies the life they deserve?

Once he is neutered, and you have waited around 6 weeks for his hormones to subside, then a friend would be lovely for him. A spayed female would probably be the best match, do you have any rescues nearby with rabbits? Rescue bunnies have usually been spayed/neutered and vaccinated which saves money initially. Obviously both bunnies will need to be vaccinated annually, and there may be other vets bills to consider. Pet insurance might be worth considering. If rabbits have company of their own kind, so long as they have lots of hay, water and space etc they won’t be so bothered if you haven’t got so much time to spare.

I also echo exactly what Zoobec suggests. In the meantime, you could consider maybe a soft toy bun? It would give Kiwi something to focus on, something to make him feel close to and he can use it to snuggle up to. I have used these with my rabbits - it doesn't always have to be representitive of a rabbit, but as long as it's about the same size, Kiwi might enjoy having a companion.
In the longer term, a companion would be ideal - bunnies are sociable animals and will be happier in pairs. However, there will be a bonding process and there could be set backs with this - not all bunnies become fiends. But - this forum is an ideal place to ask questions and an even better place to get advice - as we have all had experience and can provide helpful tips and techniques that have worked. You do need to be mindful of vet bills - as there are essentials like vaccinations and other things that can effect rabbits.
So please keep asking questions and there will be plenty of advice ready for you.

I think, considering your age and busy lifestyle, the first step is to have Kiwi neutered to see if this improves his behaviour. Normally, if a rabbit is happy he does not bite so maybe he is spending too much time alone. Obviously at 12 you must have your parents' back-up as you will need to spend quite a bit of money and it depends if you have enough space for 2 rabbits, although 2 don't take up much more space than 1. It is good you are thinking seriously about whether you can look after 2 rabbits but at least if Kiwi has a friend his emotional needs will be met. It shouldn't be too difficult to introduce a female, preferably spayed, as males are not very territorial. There is quite a lot to consider as well as illnesses which rabbits are prone to get.

Thank you all for your advice and to Craig 1965, Kiwi has a cute, fluffy elephant named Elephanto who he very much enjoys flopping beside. He doesn't groom Elephanto or snuggle with him though; is this normal? Also, don't worry, I make sure to spend atleast 4 hours a day of personal time with Kiwi (i.e. Grooming, doing tricks, snuggling, reading aloud, Etc.)

Back